Surviving Minnesota!

But I still find them annoying. In an effort to reserve the chicken feed for the chickens, as you can see I moved it up on the deck....

Oh, I thought you were feeding the deer from that rubber pan. I use a 5 gallon bucket with PVC elbows as my chicken feeder. I doubt that any deer could get their face into a 3" opening in the PVC elbow. Also, chickens don't waste nearly as much chicken feed because they cannot get in their to scratch out the feed.

I know but a black rubber pan is prettier than White PVC.

:gig

I have 3 rubber pans which I use out in the chicken run, but only put food in there that the chickens will eat during the day (mostly kitchen scraps when available). Yes, I do like the black rubber look better than the white PVC. However, my 5 gallon feeder with PVC elbows is hung inside the coop, out of sight, and I don't think the chickens much care about the looks. Just trying to offer a solution to your expensive feed cost you mentioned. You could always spray paint any white bucket and/or PVC if you feed outside and don't like the white color.

While I was listening to the above my grandkids (and their parents) were at our place.

My grandson was attacked by a rooster. He claims to have just ran through the flock and the rooster attacked him for no reason...

My granddaughter witnessed the attack and drew a rendition of the event has she recalled it.

View attachment 1921759

I would hate to question a 5 year olds side of the story, however, we I let the birds out this morning I noticed the rooster in question has lost his nice long tail feathers...

I love that you have budding artists.
Thank you Shaw for showing us those feathers. I just thought it was leaves at a side view there at first. But I think you're right feathers...definitely makes sense. I think the legs and the shoes showing running are done really well too. She's getting good!!!

:gig
Oh Gosh I would rather they just eat the acorns and keep passing through. But my flower garden gets hit if I don't do the rotten egg spray like every week ...and my beautiful sunflowers that were coming got browsed off....smell too delicious... I live in the middle of no where and off the highway for sure. But I still find them annoying. In an effort to reserve the chicken feed for the chickens, as you can see I moved it up on the deck.... Now I'm not real keen on doing that because I need to then get a broom to my deck more than I usually do. If I moved those feeding bowls to my patio set on the other side of the deck I'm thinking I will have Rudy there along with his friends sitting white tails down in the chairs licking out those rubber bowls.

I'll get a picture of that one for sure...

We thought of SSS (but that will be last week of deer season with no others in the freezer. DH says he likes some sport in it...

There is no shame in meat hunting!! :old

if he wants sport buy him a boomerang to take it out with:gig:gig:gig:gig

I have 3 rubber pans which I use out in the chicken run, but only put food in there that the chickens will eat during the day (mostly kitchen scraps when available). Yes, I do like the black rubber look better than the white PVC. However, my 5 gallon feeder with PVC elbows is hung inside the coop, out of sight, and I don't think the chickens much care about the looks. Just trying to offer a solution to your expensive feed cost you mentioned. You could always spray paint any white bucket and/or PVC if you feed outside and don't like the white color.

Thank you for all the tips. Truly. After 7 years I guess I should quit fighting ring around the rosey with the deer and the rubber bowls. It's somewhat entertaining at the same time. But I'm still cheap. And I still need to feed those chickens. I have a feeder in their coop that does a good job. But those chickens like to be out when there's no snow on the ground. I move the bowls around when they are really shading themselves on hot days or just where it's convenient for me. Or just wherever the chickens seem to be.... If I get a new feeder I'm going to get one of those Grandpa Peddle ones--where it opens when they step on the peddle. Gosh Grandpa wants an arm and leg for it though...Plus I'll have to train chickens.

0AC885C5-DC6F-4852-8CB8-C7D7AFDBBFF6.png

Cost of deer removal 2.9 cents.

BC it is archery season you know . Surely you have a archer in the family . :lol:
On feeding the deer it is illegal in IL. and MN also I believe . I know many still feed . So every gas station and hardware store has deer corn for sale up north . Here it is wildlife corn . Seems selling corn labeled as deer corn would be illegal . :confused:

Back
Top Bottom