Surviving Minnesota!

woot woot...hi all,, guess who got internet working.. apparently i needed a booster for my booster and every month my gigga bytes or mega bytes or something stupid has to recycle. so now i have to put a limit on how many shows hubby can watch so he doesn't take away from my internet time. guess recording shows count,,,so we will see what happens.. , went to Ralphies couple days ago and picked up 20 Guineas I LOVE them i no longer have my kitchen table for eating my new babies are on top of it, Good thing hubby is use to my craziness LOL he just goes with the flow...Wasnt it only like a year ago i didnt have any chickens and just started to build my 1st coop? 2 turkeys 24 chickens and now 20 Guineas AND a new farm.. I still blame this all on Ralphie well 8 chickens i blame on Judy,,LOl... OK all i will stop back later time to get busy I think i will pull weeds today in the gardens and clean up some of the branches that fell lastnight and take it from there...Have a good day all...

Pics of new Guineas

I am guessing that means all 20 keets are still alive. That is a feat in itself. This as been a hardy hatch, I have not lost one as of this morning either. I have been moving them like crazy, but I still think I have 20ish or more left to sell. I am not keeping any but the white one and the "paint" ones. I think the pearl bodies with the white wings will be unique.

Ethel has not lost any of hers and the PC hen still has all of hers so those are all I will need for replacement guineas, (21). However, they have started getting hit at a little faster rate than I thought they would on the highway this year.

BC Do you see or hear from Jerry? I can come up the 12th or 13th to see you guys and bring him his rooster. Anyone else want to join us for lunch/coffee in Longville?

My girls are going to be upset today. They are locked in the coop. I got a tad ticked off at them yesterday. 20 hens and only 5 eggs is not acceptable. They are going to learn what nest boxes are for again.

To top it off I had not collected the Creamettes eggs for a couple days, before that I had been getting one every other day. I figured they were molting or the heat or something. You know how fickle they can be. Stinking Prima Dona's that they are!

There was not one egg in their coop! I started to wonder if they could be laying them in the box I give them alongside the pen that use to be Bert's cave when he was young. I opened it and found 24 eggs. 4 in the nest box I could reach and 20 on the ground I could not reach. I will be going out with my high tech soup ladle on a stick device and getting those eggs today. They will head to the incubator later today as they are the White sports with any luck.

I have my Porter eggs hatching today. I just got them moved yesterday to the hatcher because of the slow keet hatch. When moving them I dropped a thermometer on one of the white sport eggs and cracked it. Clumsy old man that I am.

That's about it other than my coffee problems. Some one has been leaving my coffee cups in the brooder shed. We are not sure who is doing this. Judy has been refusing to go get them. I am now drinking coffee out of a cup I do not like, and I think it even makes the coffee taste bitter. If I should have the "big one" today, please ask for an autopsy with a full blood panel on me. Maybe she is poisoning me because she can no longer stand being in the shadow of my awesomeness...

Good morning everybody. Minnie I am sorry to hear of your garden/ tree storm damage. Old Ma Nature has her days doesn't she? I always feel like we rally as a community or family when storm damages stuff around here. People understand if you can't get to work. Neighbors sawing trees to get ambulances through..., etc etc.
We got about 2 minutes of hard rain. That's it.

Coffee. You must watch that Ralphie and Holm. They are snowball salesmen. Guineas?! Welcome back by the way.

I have not heard from Jerry, Ralph. I think he's hunkered down in his trailer until more tourists leave. And also I probably won't get to see him until our coffee or luncheon. People can really dissipate around here into their cabins and the woods/ lakes. You wouldn't know there's that many people until you see them all come in for the parade.

I let the wild Illini girls go for a free range. It's been a week. They are so cute. The blues have long gangly legs. Lol. Fun to watch them free range.

Is it helping to calm them down any?  I see they are still huddling in the far corner? They are the most skittish bird I have ever seen. They come out of the shells skittish even.
They spread out mostly but when I went to take their pic they huddled together and acted like they were fearing for their lives from the mean old lady that puts the food and water in and has let them take over her dining room.

Morning . I caught up with the 100 + posts . Yes I hid in the woods over the holiday . Was not so bad this year on the lake or road . About 75% of the cabins were occupied . I think the rowdy teenagers grew up and got a life . New batch growing to replace them . Golf cart so far . Spent yesterday in Brainard . Had to get a sensor switch for the dryer plus other things . I have been busy fixing and repairing this trip . Had a couple of water leaks . Got both lawnmowers going plus the rototiller .Low budget operation = used equipment . Carb cleaning on the tiller and push mower . The rider had a bad ignition switch after the rough ride up here last year . So I got that ordered and in last year . Still would not power up . Found a fuse blown . Yeah I probably caused that testing things . Camper water pump would not pump . So I Jerry rigged a garden hose to the camper . Bathroom floor was soft when I bought it . So with increased pressure I found the leak source . Somewhere on the toilet . Well hidden of course . So I need to take it out to find the leak .Could be a line but likely a crack from the previous owner not winterizing or blowing out the lines for winter .So my life is like everyone else . BC I did not notice the lack of beard on one . It should grow in . Maybe just the ugly stage or beard picking .I should call my place malfunction junction .
gig.gif
Brought the 4 wheeler up but brought the wrong key . So next trip . I brought the disk with me so I could loosen and level some areas .Well I got to get going .

Morning . I caught up with the 100 + posts . Yes I hid in the woods over the holiday . Was not so bad this year on the lake or road . About 75% of the cabins were occupied . I think the rowdy teenagers grew up and got a life . New batch growing to replace them . Golf cart so far . Spent yesterday in Brainard . Had to get a sensor switch for the dryer plus other things . I have been busy fixing and repairing this trip . Had a couple of water leaks . Got both lawnmowers going plus the rototiller .Low budget operation = used equipment . Carb cleaning on the tiller and push mower . The rider had a bad ignition switch after the rough ride up here last year . So I got that ordered and in last year . Still would not power up . Found a fuse blown . Yeah I probably caused that testing things . Camper water pump would not pump . So I Jerry rigged a garden hose to the camper . Bathroom floor was soft when I bought it . So with increased pressure I found the leak source . Somewhere on the toilet . Well hidden of course . So I need to take it out to find the leak .Could be a line but likely a crack from the previous owner not winterizing or blowing out the lines for winter .So my life is like everyone else . BC I did not notice the lack of beard on one . It should grow in . Maybe just the ugly stage or beard picking .I should call my place malfunction junction .
gig.gif
Brought the 4 wheeler up but brought the wrong key . So next trip . I brought the disk with me so I could loosen and level some areas .Well I got to get going .
"If it weren't for bad luck - you wouldn't have any luck at all." - Quote credit my grandmother in law.

Well, we just got the mother of all storms. Three big trees are down, all the fruit trees we planted last year, one tree fell on the asparagus, our nice 10-year old Linden tree we loved is gone, the swing set garden... the swing set is blown down (must be the three hanging flower pots I put on it yesterday did it in
roll.png
), branches everywhere, limbs everywhere, all my chicken and rabbit stuff is blown all over. What a mess. Oh well, I know what else I will be doing the rest of the week. It is a good thing I pulled up the garden this weekend, it would be covered by tree now anyway.

Looking on the bright side, the house is fine, even though it shook pretty hard for a while.

I have sympathy for you Minnie. Used to deal with those storms for a few years because of the work they produced for my husband's company. You wanted us to do your work - we were 'fly by nights.' However, alot of work went into cleanup and so sad to lose trees and gardens. So nice to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom