Swedish Flower Hen Thread

From what I've heard...though I don't know for sure...yellow are the most desired, flesh are acceptable and white are not.  I don't really care either way.  I'm not selling them and if I do breed it would just be for my flock and a couple neighbors. 

You are correct the preferred color is yellow but flesh color is accepted.

I was just curious nice birds either way to me. How old are they?
They are right about 9 weeks old. I think they are nice looking too, this is my first time raising chickens and right now I'm not concerned with all the "show" quality or anything. I just want sweet,pretty chickens that lay me some eggs!!!!
D.gif

How aggressive are your roosters?   Mine is just 4-5 months old and he is challenging me.  He has not jumped on me but I pretty sure that is only because I don't go in the pen without a stick.  He is gorgeous and I really want to keep him.  I have not had much luck with roosters of any breed.  I have 5 right now and there is not one that I would turn my back to.  

Sorry this is a late post but my roo was very aggressive. Could not turn your back and he even came at you head on. I finally sent him to the pot after he attacked my 2 year old for the last time. All my kids were afraid of him and I did not want to use a bird with that kind of aggression for breeding. He was only 7 months old.

Now that my favorite Roos is gone I have a few more growing out. I was really liking a crested cockerel to put with my non crested hens. His comb was coming in nice and straight. The problem is he has a side sprig. I'm thinking I should just cull him but was wondering what everyone here thought. I wanted 2 separate pens for my SFH if I cull this guy it will most likely leave me with one for now. I can live with that if its for the best.

Now that my favorite Roos is gone I have a few more growing out. I was really liking a crested cockerel to put with my non crested hens. His comb was coming in nice and straight. The problem is he has a side sprig. I'm thinking I should just cull him but was wondering what everyone here thought. I wanted 2 separate pens for my SFH if I cull this guy it will most likely leave me with one for now. I can live with that if its for the best.

Sprigs are a reason to cull if you are going to breed. This is something that is usually passed on to the offspring. There are lots of extra boys out there. Where are you located?

Back
Top Bottom