Swedish Flower Hen Thread

This one is a couple weeks older. In the 8 - 10 week age bracket instead of 6 - 8 weeks.

I think it's a boy but was having crazy hopeful thoughts that it was a girl because the waddles are small. It looks too red to be a girl. Also, I think I see the beginning of fancy feathers. Can you confirm that this is a boy so I will quit projecting egg laying thoughts on this poor guy?

And this one just because it is funny. The colors make me think cockerel but I couldn't get a clear shot of its head. Seems like a boy though. Just like my teenage son, won't get its head out of the feeder!

BYC is being obnoxious right now so I can't quote, but CackleJoy, in reference to your photos, #1 & #2 above look like cockerels to me. The crested ones take longer to out themselves, usually. #3 looks like a pullet. The older one in the next post also looks like a cockerel. And the last picture, I would say cockerel, too, because of the coloring. Sorry, I hope I am wrong. :hugs

I have always adored this picture. So wonderful

Thanks!
big_smile.png

BYC is being obnoxious right now so I can't quote, but CackleJoy, in reference to your photos, #1 & #2 above look like cockerels to me. The crested ones take longer to out themselves, usually. #3 looks like a pullet. The older one in the next post also looks like a cockerel. And the last picture, I would say cockerel, too, because of the coloring. Sorry, I hope I am wrong.
hugs.gif
You have had SFH much longer than I have so you've probably developed that 6th sense. Oh learned one woudst thou please impart upon me your wisdom? I have need of knowing
big_smile.png

Seriously - number 2 has a pinker comb than some but number 1 isn't giving me any clues. Can you tell me what it is about those two that makes you think cockerel?

Do any of you use non gmo/organic feed on your SF or any breed of chickens? If so, have you also used standard feed and have you seen any differences in how the birds do on each feed?

I have used it and I really liked it (and so did the birds!) Can't do it right now, but hope to start getting it again soon! They weren't on it long enough to see a difference in health, but I liked it way better than the crumbles/pellets and it ferments better, too!

By the way - love you're new avatar! Where did that beautiful boy come from?

I have used it and I really liked it (and so did the birds!) Can't do it right now, but hope to start getting it again soon! They weren't on it long enough to see a difference in health, but I liked it way better than the crumbles/pellets and it ferments better, too!

By the way - love you're new avatar! Where did that beautiful boy come from?
Honestly I can't afford the cost of the non GMO feed right now either but that is my goal. I refuse to support GMO if I can possibly keep from doing so and I read an article recently in a chicken magazine about gmo feeds and according to it, some chickens and other livestock have refused to eat GMO feeds and some breeders are blaming fertility issues on GMO feeds. I'm afraid that in the long run we may find out it's not as "safe" as Monsanto wants everybody to think!

On the boy :) I can proudly say I hatched him from my own eggs! His daddy is from a breeder who had the first import line and I bred him to my GFF girls I got last summer and this pretty black boy is one of those babies! His daddy was very decent but at same age, this boy is better. I wish I would have had a good camera with me yesterday instead of just my phone for the picture because the tail feathers aren't showing up very well and he has the most gorgeous purple sheen on those black feathers that unfortunately doesn't show up in the photo very well.

Couple of weeks ago I put him in with a group of girls. He definitely had the interest but he was practically going at every end but the right one! lol Looks like now he finally has gotten the mechanics figured out but the girls are molting and not laying anything! :( So it's just practice for now! lol As soon as I start getting some eggs from this group they will be going in the incubator. He will produce those beautiful blacks I love! I have a really nice group of roosters for the next year and that includes the really nice boy that came from your eggs! I will be sending you pics as I promised! :)

Last edited:
With the exception of my first 2 hatches 3 years ago (before I knew better), I always start my chicks on organic, non-medicated feed. They just seem to do much better on it. I switched everyone back to non-GMO feeds a few months ago. I used to feed all organic, but couldn't afford it over the winter when no one was laying. Plus, I had to make a special trip over an hour away to get it and they ate like pigs on it. I didn't notice a big difference from the conventional feeds, but it made me feel better. However, after Purina had their recall this spring I decided I had to switch back to organic. I did a little more research and decided to try Scratch'n'Peck feeds. I fed that exclusively for a couple of months. It is terribly expensive, however the birds ate less of it. Then I found a local supplier of non-GMO feed that is much more reasonably priced. I decided to mix the two feeds because I like the probiotics added into the S'n'P. I am REALLY liking the mix.

I haven't figured it out on paper, but my impression is that now they are eating about HALF (or less) of what they used to eat. I do not have to fill their feeders nearly as often now. My birds are looking much nicer as they come out of molt. The eggs, while slightly smaller in size, are much more consistent in size, shape, color and shell quality. My Black Copper Marans eggs seem to be getting darker again instead of lighter. I started hatching my Isbar eggs not too long after I made the feed switch. Isbars are notoriously fragile as chicks, but I have had minimal losses (2 died shortly after hatching, 1 died when the waterer fell on it). Another breeder that hatched some of my Isbar eggs along with someone else's at the same time said she could definitely tell the difference - mine are bigger and healthier looking. I have had excellent fertility and hatchability.

For those of you that can get it, I highly recommend trying the Scratch'n'Peck feed, even if you can only mix some of it in with your regular feed. Perhaps if it helps your birds like it has mine, you can gradually add more until you can make the switch completely.

Honestly I can't afford the cost of the non GMO feed right now either but that is my goal. I refuse to support GMO if I can possibly keep from doing so and I read an article recently in a chicken magazine about gmo feeds and according to it, some chickens and other livestock have refused to eat GMO feeds and some breeders are blaming fertility issues on GMO feeds. I'm afraid that in the long run we may find out it's not as "safe" as Monsanto wants everybody to think!

On the boy :) I can proudly say I hatched him from my own eggs! His daddy is from a breeder who had the first import line and I bred him to my GFF girls I got last summer and this pretty black boy is one of those babies! His daddy was very decent but at same age, this boy is better. I wish I would have had a good camera with me yesterday instead of just my phone for the picture because the tail feathers aren't showing up very well and he has the most gorgeous purple sheen on those black feathers that unfortunately doesn't show up in the photo very well.

Couple of weeks ago I put him in with a group of girls. He definitely had the interest but he was practically going at every end but the right one! lol Looks like now he finally has gotten the mechanics figured out but the girls are molting and not laying anything! :( So it's just practice for now! lol As soon as I start getting some eggs from this group they will be going in the incubator. He will produce those beautiful blacks I love! I have a really nice group of roosters for the next year and that includes the really nice boy that came from your eggs! I will be sending you pics as I promised! :)

Wonderful to get such a nice boy from your breeding, Tx!! I want more pics - from what I can tell, his body shape is beautiful! Wide, deep and nicely put together!

I am totally NOT a fan of GMO and once our finances have stabilized, my birds will be going right back on the non-GMO feed!
and KYTinpusher - Great information! You ferment too, don't you?

Back
Top Bottom