Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Quote:
No, I don't ferment anymore. It just got to be too much. I do occasionally mix some feed (especially any leftover fines) with some kefir and water overnight for a "treat" for my birds. They love it and it is so good for them. I am seeing many of the same benefits with the S'n'P as I did when I was fermenting; just much less hassle. Who knows, if I fermented it, maybe they would eat even less. Being mostly whole grains, I think the S'n'P would be ideal for fermenting. Something to try when I find some spare time. :lol: By the way, I order my S'n'P through Azure Standard. They deliver through much of the U.S. and carry much more than chicken feed.

Do any of you use non gmo/organic feed on your SF or any breed of chickens? If so, have you also used standard feed and have you seen any differences in how the birds do on each feed?
I have always fed organic but it is a custom-mix (I don't feed soy....and wish I didn't have to feed any legume seed at all as they're not something any chicken would choose to eat if it had a choice).

I originally had the local feed mill mix for me but I had to purchase in a large quantity and I don't like to have it sitting around. As soon as the grains are broken/ground the oils begin to go rancid. I finally just started purchasing the 50 lb bags of grains and field peas and doing my own. I have a vita mix blender that was my mom's and I was delighted to find out that you can grind grains in it - it's one of the stated uses for it. I make up enough to last for about a week at a time and otherwise keep the whole grains and peas in the basement (which is not humid at all).

I don't have anything to compare to but I have also read about reproduction issues (among many other issues) with GMO grain or grains that have had glyphosate [roundup] or other herbicides applied. Also that the chickens and other livestock and animals will avoid and not eat it if they at all possibly can when another choice of food is available.

I also use Fertrel Nutribalancer and fish meal in the feed recipe. Many of the grains (even organic) are a very good price when purchased from the feed mill in 50 lb bags.

For those of you that can get it, I highly recommend trying the Scratch'n'Peck feed, even if you can only mix some of it in with your regular feed. Perhaps if it helps your birds like it has mine, you can gradually add more until you can make the switch completely.
Mixing some in is a great idea if not affordable otherwise.
thumbsup.gif

Hi all. I have never raised SFH and wondering about the 3 I hatched June 23. How about the colors and roo or pullet? Seems to be a big size difference as well. Any all all comments. Thanks so much.

Just thought I'd share pictures of my first Flower Hen, hatched August 1. I believe she is a pullet, but feel free to correct me.

Have to say she is the sweetest little thing.

Beautiful. I would like to know her official color? Love seeing comments on the birds posted pics. Helps soooooo much. As well as sexing. BUT I do agree this breed may commonly have late blooming roosters from what I can tell. So it's easy to miss a roo until they crow. Thanks.

Hi all. I have never raised SFH and wondering about the 3 I hatched June 23. How about the colors and roo or pullet? Seems to be a big size difference as well. Any all all comments. Thanks so much.
I know you posted this elsewhere - I answered on that post a few days ago.
smile.png

Just thought I'd share pictures of my first Flower Hen, hatched August 1. I believe she is a pullet, but feel free to correct me.

Have to say she is the sweetest little thing.
Looks like a pullet at this point. She's a blue-based mille fleur and very pretty!

@Bulldogma:

Here is a photo I took of Duke, the boy I received from you. I tried all morning to get a picture outside the chicken wire and he finally gave me a decent shot as soon as I gave up.

He's looking really good. Look at that chest! Ka-pow!
thumbsup.gif

Bulldogma.
I posted on the SFH Facebook group. You were and are very very helpful. I can tell by your responses to the other birds. Wait and see if my blue based is a roo. I'm thinking it is . . .but that's OK. I have 2 pullets. Hoping to find a crested hen at some point. Could noncrested throw crested pullets?

Well my friend's hatch didn't work out last weekend, so Tiny Terror is still brooding in my bathroom. She's three weeks old now and has long tail feathers like most of my female chicks had at this point, BUT her comb is also showing a little pink now which has me guessing. I guess I will have to keep a look out for red shoulder feathers to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom