Swedish Flower Hen Thread

@Melabella
I LOVE the color of Ava...very much like my Emma (not pictured above...she's 1.5 years old.

And I love that roo too. I really need to get some of Leighs kiddos :D

Forgot I hatched this little one 5 weeks ago. You guys said boy a few weeks ago. What do you think now? Still boy?

Here is my female. Not the best shot, but you know how that goes!!!

@Bulldogma

Do we know some folks that would do a transport train that could get me to mid-northern Ohio?
Wish we did - there's someone in mid-southern OH who wants some too!

Don' t know anything about SFH except that I have two. A male and a female. Here is the male. What can you tell me about him and his quality. Thanks.

Hard to tell about quality from these shots - he's not holding himself well so I can't say for sure. Nice coloring, though!

Forgot I hatched this little one 5 weeks ago. You guys said boy a few weeks ago. What do you think now? Still boy?

Here is my female. Not the best shot, but you know how that goes!!!

Your young boy looks like he may have a vaulted skull (caused by breeding 2 crested Swedes together). Many of us don't recommend breeding a crested bird to a crested bird. The vaulted skull can cause high chick mortality as they often can not hatch properly. Later in life, the large crest can make it hard for them to free range as they can't see predators well. If you breed this boy, breeding him to all uncrested females will give you 100% crested chicks (but with a normal-size crest).

Your pullet looks to be a pretty girl - again, it's hard to tell in photos.

Personally I would say if you want to hatch any Swedish chicks, get uncrested girls for your crested boys, and put your crested girl with an uncrested boy. If you're not planning on breeding them, then I would say, "Enjoy your lovely birds! They are all quite pretty!"

@Melabella
I LOVE the color of Ava...very much like my Emma (not pictured above...she's 1.5 years old.

And I love that roo too. I really need to get some of Leighs kiddos :D
Leah.. you know what is funny? I named this pullet Ava, and my speckled Sussex Emma, after my two nieces! Too funny. Thank you for the nice compliments on the teeny bobbers. so funny watching them grow and run around all day.

Do you have a picture of Ava? I would love to see her. I think I have two more just like her in the brooder. I am praying every morning I look into the brooder for more girls!

And yes... I highly recommend Leighs babies!

MB

Some photos of the now 18 week olds.

3 Sisters:

Black 1. She doesn't have brown in the hackles but has a lot of "blue sheen".

Oh,,, I LOVE the all black against the flowering. So pretty!

Black Band. She has brown in the hackles.

Gosh, she is beautiful too! Lovely!

"Brown"

Simply Stunning! They are big girls!

MB

Some photos of the now 18 week olds.

3 Sisters:

"Brown"

Beautiful birds!
wink.png
I love the dark tail on "Brown"!
love.gif
I really want to put some more eggs in the bator, but I have to sell some Isbar juvies to make room.

Back
Top Bottom