Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Pretty Ava and one of her boyfriends. Their colors so pretty against the clover.

Leah.. you know what is funny? I named this pullet Ava, and my speckled Sussex Emma, after my two nieces! Too funny. Thank you for the nice compliments on the teeny bobbers. so funny watching them grow and run around all day.

Do you have a picture of Ava? I would love to see her. I think I have two more just like her in the brooder. I am praying every morning I look into the brooder for more girls!

And yes... I highly recommend Leighs babies!

MB

This is Emma as an adult a few weeks ago:

Emma at 13 weeks:

Emma at 15 weeks:

Quote:
I'm not Leigh, but i'll weigh in here. I DO have two pens that I will be breeding for specifically crested offspring (one pen with crested girls, the other with a crested roo), but I will NOT breed crest to crest. the other 2 pens will be entirely uncrested, so selling eggs can be one the other or both. nobody is set up right now since I'm letting them all be chickens and free ranging for the fall, but after the sale in Richmond next weekend, I should have my pens planned out, if not penned at that point. Since I'm also not overly fond of splash based birds in general, i'll also be breeding primarily for blue and black based birds, while trying to maintain as much diversity as possible in the lines. most of the pullets are from my own breeding from hens that came out of Alabama, the roos are from different years' breedings from Leigh. so Yeah they all originated essentially from Greenfire, but even 1-2 generations apart has a big difference in genetics over the big picture. now that I have enough birds to set up 4 pens, that should be easy enough to maintain for a good while with occasional blood coming in.

so once they get established and some time to make sure there's no stray 'roo juice' in circulation, then i'll start offering some late year eggs, if they're available.

Ugh, okay be honest with me, y'all. My Tiny Terror is probably a cockerel right? 3 weeks old.

Last edited:
That is a very macho little boy! It's rare to see a comb that big on a chick so small. LOL!
:D

Probably why he's such a terror. :p

Example: Every morning like clockwork I fill his food dish and as soon as I set it down, he grabs it with one foot and kicks it behind him so the food goes eveywhere. Guess he likes it better on the floor.

Last edited:
I've been kind of quiet about these boys, but I suppose now they are reaching breeding age, it's time to introduce my German boys.

A farm (that does not wish to go public with this yet) imported some new Swedish Flower Hen blood from Germany last year. Somehow I found myself lucky enough to come into possession of 6 cockerels from these lines. I am keeping 3 of them and selling the other 3.

Ziggy - one of my keepers and a real love-bug!

Einstein - another keeper.

My 3rd keeper.

3rd keeper again.

Blue-based with dark sickles:

Light blue-based with striped sickles:

Dark blue-based:

Back
Top Bottom