Swedish Flower Hen Thread

It is my understanding that there is some sort of opening in the skull in all crested chickens - smaller crests just have a smaller opening. That’s why I’d like to avoid breeding my crested roo to a crested hen. Unfortunately MPC said they can’t send me non crested chicks, it’ll be the luck of the draw... with two crested birds 25% of eggs won’t hatch if I remember that correctly...

022A3C6C-6C1B-4D6D-BA1F-A5ABC6878437.jpeg
AFA72D01-2AEF-468C-92BA-612D055372D4.jpeg
I just want to show off my gorgeous roo (again?). Westley and Buttercup will be 2 years old in April (I think? can’t remember exactly). Sorry, no good picture of the hen, you can just glimpse her back on the bottom...
For anyone getting chicks: this roo was a chestnut brown color with a cream chest as a chick. The hen was yellow.

We are going to try to hatch some of our eggs in a fully automatic incubator for the first time. I’ve heard that some breeds are notoriously difficult to hatch. I was wondering if Swedish Flower hens are difficult? Any tips?
Thanks!

I would guess not, as they are a landrace breed (one that has evolved naturally), though for the same reason they would probably do better under a broody if you have one.

I would guess not, as they are a landrace breed (one that has evolved naturally), though for the same reason they would probably do better under a broody if you have one.

That’s a good point, thanks. We do not have a broody as of now. Maybe when it warms up one of the girls will change.

I have never heard of any problems with folks hatching in an incubator. There are some folks that do more hatching than others that may chime in on if there are any tips that making hatching more successful. But I would not be afraid to use your incubator.

I will probably start incubating in the next week or so.
I was also going to ask how long everyone else’s chickens have continued to lay eggs? Our older hens are almost 3 and only one of them still lays eggs. Our younger ones (two of them) are a year old and only one consistently lays.

Back
Top Bottom