Syringe Feeding Advice

Yes, my hens love to make nests out of the grass I use as bedding. Nest can get pretty elaborate if they have the room and the materials!! One of my pairs build a teepee style nest that was about a foot and a half tall with a hole in the middle. They would jump up and into this deep nest. LOL 

I use fake foliage in my areas. I was bringing in lots of leg scale mites from the wild birds in with these branches. So now I use fake Christmas trees and their boughs. 

It's lovely to let them express their natural instincts....I love the teepee nest!

Thanks for the tip re leg scale mites, I hadn't considered that.

I also thought of fake Christmas tree foliage but was concerned that with the extreme temperatures here in Brisbane at the moment, the plastic or whatever may overheat and emit fumes not good for them. Also wondered whether they might peck at the plastic and over time accidentally swallow some. I'm sure they're smarter than I give them credit for!

Might try to grow some natural foliage and if that fails, I'll set up the Christmas tree, bells and all, in their pen! LOL

Many thanks as always for the helpful advice.

Back
Top Bottom