Tell me about owning goats

We have two nubian weathers used for blackberry and weed control. They were dam raised and are friendly but respectful, just what I wanted. We invested in some horse panels and just move their pen around as we need it. We only have one acre, so not tons of room, and this way we can keep them away from garden or desired berry patches and confine them where we want the ground grazed down. The panels were spendy it seemed, but very worthy. We're kinda redneck here and just hold them together with baling twine. Start at the existing perimeter fence, tie a panel to it, make what ever funky shape we need, end back at the perimeter fence. We have T posts and a gate but haven't been using them lately, just the panels and twine, we also use snap clips to hold the panels together. A rubbermaid tub with water, their container with the salt block and they're good to go, basically maintainance free, which is how I like it!

The fencing was my bad, I knew it would be an issue but we had to erect something quick when we added the 2nd goat. It was a rescue goat and had been wild on 20 acres with a bunch of other goats. The remainder was regular american wire and hasnt been an issue. I put 3 strands of barbed wire on the inside of their paddock and they stopped rubbing fence immediatley. I do not like electric, we used that stuff everywhere when I was a kid and I still hate it but it works. This fall and winter we are putting up no climb and it may lead to a strand of electric, they will just tear up whatever they want haha.

We dealt with a bout of goat polio (stargazers) with the tri colored goat and almost lost her, vets here would only come out to put her down, no treatment! I learned fast how to treat and avoid it.

I am on the road way to much for milk goats so mutts work well. I have been asked to raise meat goats since I have the room and time though, just not sure I want to deal with it yet. You cant find a goat around here for under $125 so it could be an area to add some income to the farm. Always open to listen to those that have gone that route.

Two creeks, I love your photos. I have three does, one pygmy, and 2 nubian/boers. The pygmy was a rescue, and still wont let us touch her after 7 years of constant work. The two boers we bought at 3months old and they were dam raised (meat farm operation). We still can't touch either of them unless we have food, but while there eating, the one will let us to anything to her. Food is a huge motivator for them to be nice. My little cousin (4) loves to run in there with some treats and they surround her. The nubians also will scream if your not out there when you are supposed to feed them. The one big girl has such a great personality, and has perfect udders, that I'm considering breeding her for milk sometime in the future.

We used to to be able to keep the pygmy in with 4ft tall field fencing and she did fine. The bigger guys figured out that they could clear that height with just a running start. We ended up replacing the entire 1/2 acre with 6ft high, welded wire fencing. It is stapled to landscaping timbers that we concreted in the ground. There has been no jumping out of that thing, but sometime the pygmy can find a soft spot of squeeze under.

So far no jumping issues after the very first day. The tri color cleared a 4 ft fence like nothing just because we walked out of it and left her! They have almost 3 acres to enjoy so not really an issue for them to want to be elsewhere. Their paddock is 125' x 90' and is for their safety of we go to town etc. My neighbor is a royal a-hole and keeping them in is priority because dealing with him will land me in jail period. Other neighbors love them (no close neighbors really) They pet them over the fence, park and watch them play etc.

I could easily fence in another 5 acres for more, beyond the work and expense that is. But for that, I would need return (money) from sales. I enjoy the hobby aspect of a small farm, but I have to have gain for my efforts beyond the pleasure and sanctuary I get from handling the work. Our intent when we moved here was to raise Whitetail deer but an outbreak of CWD has all permits on hold and no let up in sight so that idea went out the window.

Is fence jumping common or is it just a possibility?

What are some other common concerns/issues you wish you had known before you got your first goats?

It is common, or else there wouldn't be the saying that if a fence can't hold water, it can't hold a goat.

I wish I would have known more about bloat, and how quickly it can kill. I lost a two month old kid, she went down so fast. I still miss her very much, because she was a special girl to me.

been there LOL

ya.gif
They certainly do do this. We fixed the problem by 'weaving' the fencing between poles so they couldn't push it loose. Worked great!

It is common, or else there wouldn't be the saying that if a fence can't hold water, it can't hold a goat.

I wish I would have known more about bloat, and how quickly it can kill. I lost a two month old kid, she went down so fast. I still miss her very much, because she was a special girl to me.

I'm so sorry for your loss, that's always a heart wrenching experience.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. Bloat is something I will definitely look into.
What kind of fencing do you use for your goats? And, are they still able to get out on occasion? I've seen many people put their goats out during the day on tie out cables. Is that ok to do, as long as they have water and shelter?

Also, I know for dogs and cats, being left with momma until at least 7-8 weeks of age is the best case scenario, but many people seem to take the kids away from their moms really soon after being born, so soon that they still need to be bottle fed. Are there more health concerns to worry about with a kid that is being bottle fed or that has been bottle fed vs. momma's milk? Doesn't the colostrum have the same great benefits for kids as it does for other baby animals?

I'm so sorry for your loss, that's always a heart wrenching experience.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. Bloat is something I will definitely look into.
What kind of fencing do you use for your goats? And, are they still able to get out on occasion? I've seen many people put their goats out during the day on tie out cables. Is that ok to do, as long as they have water and shelter?

Also, I know for dogs and cats, being left with momma until at least 7-8 weeks of age is the best case scenario, but many people seem to take the kids away from their moms really soon after being born, so soon that they still need to be bottle fed. Are there more health concerns to worry about with a kid that is being bottle fed or that has been bottle fed vs. momma's milk? Doesn't the colostrum have the same great benefits for kids as it does for other baby animals?

I personally have woven wire, 5 foot. They go out every day. Some people do tie out goats, like if they have a goat that a fence just can't contain, or they want the goat to 'weed whack' a certain area. But I would never suggest it unless you are supervising. I have done it if I am working in the yard, I'll tether a goat in a nice place to browse. But they become tangled easily, or if they are scared and bolt can hurt their neck. Or become the victim of a rouge dog, since the goat cannot escape at all. I am right in sight when they are tied, and they have fresh water of course.

Bottle fed goats absolutely get colostrum from their mothers. Even breeders who practice CAE prevention, which means pulling the kid before it has a chance to nurse, gives colostrum that has been heat treated (kills CAE). Bottle fed kids are often just as healthy as dam raised kids. People do it for more friendly kids. The kids I got this spring came from a breeder who does the CAE prevention, so all her kids are bottled fed right from the start. Dam raised kids can be just as friendly as a bottle kid, though. It all depends on what someone wants to do with their herd. Sometimes even a person who lets the dams raise their kid will need to bottle feed, like if the doe isn't producing enough milk, a kid is rejected, or there is just a weak kid in general.

I personally have woven wire, 5 foot. They go out every day. Some people do tie out goats, like if they have a goat that a fence just can't contain, or they want the goat to 'weed whack' a certain area. But I would never suggest it unless you are supervising. I have done it if I am working in the yard, I'll tether a goat in a nice place to browse. But they become tangled easily, or if they are scared and bolt can hurt their neck. Or become the victim of a rouge dog, since the goat cannot escape at all. I am right in sight when they are tied, and they have fresh water of course.

Bottle fed goats absolutely get colostrum from their mothers. Even breeders who practice CAE prevention, which means pulling the kid before it has a chance to nurse, gives colostrum that has been heat treated (kills CAE). Bottle fed kids are often just as healthy as dam raised kids. People do it for more friendly kids. The kids I got this spring came from a breeder who does the CAE prevention, so all her kids are bottled fed right from the start. Dam raised kids can be just as friendly as a bottle kid, though. It all depends on what someone wants to do with their herd. Sometimes even a person who lets the dams raise their kid will need to bottle feed, like if the doe isn't producing enough milk, a kid is rejected, or there is just a weak kid in general.

Ok, thank you! I'm not sure what our fencing is called, I'll have to check. We got it at home depot, it's 5' and wire, with skinny rectangles not the big, fat squares. I sure hope that will work!
Thanks again for your help. I'm sure I'll have more questions later on!

Back
Top Bottom