Tennessee

We had to go through hoops for coops. We had to file with the city a permit to build a coop with scale drawing of property and where we would put the coop. Once ok'd and fees paid, we took that to the animal control division. Meantime our application was in limbo until the city counsel reviewed the submission (they meet once a month) and approved for set number of chickens (no roosters). We received our green card (city approval) that we can legally own them in the city.
Google search "hoops for coops." This guy is a veterinarian (but not for farm animals). OH! you have to find a vet that services farm animals. We just listed the one this fellow suggested.
Hope this helps.
Karen

We had to go through hoops for coops. We had to file with the city a permit to build a coop with scale drawing of property and where we would put the coop. Once ok'd and fees paid, we took that to the animal control division. Meantime our application was in limbo until the city counsel reviewed the submission (they meet once a month) and approved for set number of chickens (no roosters). We received our green card (city approval) that we can legally own them in the city.
Google search "hoops for coops." This guy is a veterinarian (but not for farm animals). OH! you have to find a vet that services farm animals. We just listed the one this fellow suggested.
Hope this helps.
Karen

WOW that is a LOT of HOOP jumping. Nashville didn't have to do that much. I think it is based on SQ FT of lot as to how many chickens you can have (no roosters). There is a fee, not vet required that I know of. I don't think you have to submit plans for the coop......

The Knoxville new ordinance a few years ago we put through was actually pretty easy. Chattanooga had many more hops to go through. We have built a variety of chicken tractors for people in west Knoxville and provide them with new pullets every 2 years. Has worked well and none if the HOA have been difficult - which we anticipated they would.

I'm currently in Nashville and looking at a house in Bethpage. I need help finding out if I can have chickens there and maybe a couple of goats. The land has 1 1/2 acres.
Blessings, Amanda

I'm currently in Nashville and looking at a house in Bethpage. I need help finding out if I can have chickens there and maybe a couple of goats. The land has 1 1/2 acres.
Blessings, Amanda

Hi Amanda-
Check with the local zoning/animal control rules which are usually posted online. But follow up with a phone call as they might have changed. I experienced that in Paris where the written codes had restrictions like not housing them within 1,000 ft. of a residence. Two years later it was simplified : get a permit from the City (this aids in notification of an outbreak) and can have up to 8 hens, no roosters in the city limits. Woohoo! I recently got my first ever chickens - 3 hens (to start).

Back
Top Bottom