Texas

Hello, Everyone!

It's been a few years since I was last on BYC so I have no idea if I've introduced myself on this thread before, but either way: Hi! My name is Whitney and my family and I live in North Dallas. We have a side yard that I converted for chickens and a permaculture food forest. The girls get less space temporarily while I get the food forest going, but they'll have more food variety and interesting shade/hidey holes soon.

I recently hatched a few eggs from my sister's backyard mix flock (she's actually on property in Abernathy, TX) and they're super adorable. I also bought some local chicks so I'd be 'guaranteed' females and also a variety of good egg layers of many colors.

Here are some pics of the new chicks as day olds because, well, they're just so adorable! Who needs a real reason? (Taken Tuesday)

I'm up late waiting for the last chick dry before I move her in with the rest.
love.gif

I started my garden today, back breaking work, will feel it in the morning. Cucumbers, squash, onions, jalepeños, tomatoes, beans. Still have to plant some okra and Juno tomatoes.
Looks great! My DH put ours in today. I rode around on the 4-wheeler from Sago Palm to Palm trimming them. He'll be sore, I won't, lol. Yep, I'm lazy
big_smile.png

Oh, I meant to share - I found my very first teeny developing apples on the apple trees I planted this fall/winter. This is on an Ein Shemer tree.

It's next to an Anna tree, and there's another pair of Ein Shemer/Anna in the ground. I also have another couple that never made it in the ground, and I'm going to try to get them in this spring. I know it's not ideal, but they sure as heck won't survive the summer in pots...
hide.gif

Blackberries are in full bloom (which probably means I need to arrange some sort of supports for them for eventual bird netting.)

- Ant Farm

Last edited:
Oh, I meant to share - I found my very first teeny developing apples on the apple trees I planted this fall/winter. This is on an Ein Shemer tree.

It's next to an Anna tree, and there's another pair of Ein Shemer/Anna in the ground. I also have another couple that never made it in the ground, and I'm going to try to get them in this spring. I know it's not ideal, but they sure as heck won't survive the summer in pots...
hide.gif

Blackberries are in full bloom (which probably means I need to arrange some sort of supports for them for eventual bird netting.)

- Ant Farm
We are waiting on an order of trees to get here. We bought this 1 acre about 6 weeks ago and the back is completely empty, so going to see if we can get some trees going. I've got apples, peaches, plums, dogwood, and a bunch of freebies that are being sent also.

Quote:
That's super!
clap.gif
I might also get plums one day (probably not going to mess with peaches), but apples are my first love, fruit-wise, and I've always wanted to have them. I'm on 1.6 acres (1 acre in back of the house), and we have very heavy deer pressure here, so I had to wait until the property was better fenced so that I could safely plant them.

Anyone up early to give a little hatching advice? One of my late bloomers has a breathing hole in his egg but the membrane is draped over his head and seems stuck to him. Any ideas on what to do? He is chirping and breathing fine

Anyone up early to give a little hatching advice? One of my late bloomers has a breathing hole in his egg but the membrane is draped over his head and seems stuck to him. Any ideas on what to do? He is chirping and breathing fine
If you incubator humidity is good - it should be Okay-- maybe by now it has already hatched. a paper towel in hot water and wrung out -- put over some of the shell may boost humidity if your humidity is tending to be low in the incubator.

Betcha a thread is around here somewhere on BYC that may have lots of details and experience. Maybe search on 'hatching membrane' and get something?

Usually the chickens can do it on their own. How long has the pip been open? Some say 24 hours is okay to have a pip and yet not complete the zip. Good luck!

If you incubator humidity is good - it should be Okay-- maybe by now it has already hatched. a paper towel in hot water and wrung out -- put over some of the shell may boost humidity if your humidity is tending to be low in the incubator.

Betcha a thread is around here somewhere on BYC that may have lots of details and experience. Maybe search on 'hatching membrane' and get something?

Usually the chickens can do it on their own. How long has the pip been open? Some say 24 hours is okay to have a pip and yet not complete the zip. Good luck!

Thanks! The pip happened at some point overnight so I'm not totally sure. My incubator is homemade and I no longer have a working humidity monitor. I'm keeping the wet paper towel over it and just watching to make sure he/she is still active. I've found a good thread on here and trying to follow directions. I guess I just needed some moral support!

Back
Top Bottom