Texas

Hurray for a Texas thread! I am between Austin and Bryan, close to Rockdale. We raise organic coastal, Morgan horses (have some Arabs for sale), with Delaware hens (along with their not true to breed offspring), and one miniature Australian Spotted duck who spends her days out at various tanks (ponds) and comes in at night. oh, and two cats, a young Rhodesian Ridgeback and a fine old Airedale who holds everything together.

Last edited:
I'm near fort Worth with a broody hen and no roo. Anybody nearby willing to sell me a single hatching egg to give her?

Have you checked Craigslist for your area? I know I can buy a load of hatching eggs from there on Brownsville. I was thinking of adding some Ayam Cemani here locally to try and darken up my flock. But wife heck no'd me on the chick prices. You might find plenty of stuff there that won't be going through the post.

Their Dallas page has way more selection to offer for you than my Brownsville offers.

Have you checked Craigslist for your area? I know I can buy a load of hatching eggs from there on Brownsville. I was thinking of adding some Ayam Cemani here locally to try and darken up my flock. But wife heck no'd me on the chick prices. You might find plenty of stuff there that won't be going through the post.

Their Dallas page has way more selection to offer for you than my Brownsville offers.

For my area we get a load of mixed game hens, EE's, and so on offered there as it is.

I looked on there this morning but didn't find a lot. Couple people wanting to do a dozen or more. Just want one or two so she can have a chick... Not a doubling of my flock

https://dallas.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=chicken egg&sort=rel

was the search term I had used there are plenty more options across the metroplex than we have here. Try just "chicken egg" for the search term and you should find plenty of local suppliers. If you are willing to drive 10 hours down to SPI each way I have some I can offer for free =) Best wishes! Also I did want to recommend the learning center under articles they have loads of well written articles on "broody" chicken if you simply want to break her behavior. This will be my first hatch with a broody hen and I am curious regarding how high my hatch rate will be. I even had a moment of stupid flights of fantasy over the emu eggs I saw there.

Regarding your thoughts on a single egg being a hatched chick:
My broody is going into day 10ish and has rejected 3 out of 10 eggs I am guessing those were not fertile to begin with.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom