Texas

So apparently it cold enough to tuck up a leg but not cold enough to go in their house. Silly ducks! That wind is COLD!

We are located about 40 miles north of Fort Worth. Just joined BYC! And pretty much just started this year with chickens. We have 40+ mixed or crossed chickens and just purchased Red Laced Wyandotte trio. We also have 5 horses, 5 dogs, and one calf. One Wife and two daughters, ones a freshman in college and the other a 7th grader.

50 degrees and some rain this morning. It is supposed to get really cold - around 25 degrees tomorrow. We don't usually have cold like that until Jan/Feb. I put a brooder light up in the stall yesterday so the 10 week olds have somewhere to be warm. They were all piled up yesterday. I am mixing them in with the 4-8 month old hens. They have been in a separate pen inside of the stall and I just opened it to the others yesterday and everyone is doing well.

I know the mid 20's really isn't all that cold, but for us Texans, in the middle of November, that is FREAKIN cold!!!

I've got plastic up for wind break on my coop. Here the West wall is covered, leaving the South and East sides open.

Notice that I do have a vent along the top part of the coop, up above the run roof add on.

I covered the 2 North vents over the roost, but left the top vent over the nest boxes open. Since the roof slants up toward that vent, I'm hoping that will be enough to vent out the overnight moisture from them roosting.

My water was frozen Friday morning, so I made the cookie tin heater and hope that will be enough to keep the horizontal nipples working. I'll find out in the morning since it's supposed to be in the mid 20's tonight.

The light keeps the lid very warm, but not hot. I'm hoping this works, since my next option will be putting some kind of heater into the bucket. Something I'm really not wanting to have to do.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm Chris and I live in Houston, Tx. I have 18 chickens and 1 white midget turkey. I really want more, but I live in a neighborhood and we have to follow the city ordinances. So that means no rooster or anything that will disturb your neighbor. So hopefully next year I will be able to move out the city on a 2 acre lot. I like what the city offers I just don't like living in the city anymore. I don't like that my girls can free range more and I really want a rooster! So I just wanted to say hi! #thecuckoofarm

I know the mid 20's really isn't all that cold, but for us Texans, in the middle of November, that is FREAKIN cold!!! I've got plastic up for wind break on my coop. Here the West wall is covered, leaving the South and East sides open. Notice that I do have a vent along the top part of the coop, up above the run roof add on. I covered the 2 North vents over the roost, but left the top vent over the nest boxes open. Since the roof slants up toward that vent, I'm hoping that will be enough to vent out the overnight moisture from them roosting. My water was frozen Friday morning, so I made the cookie tin heater and hope that will be enough to keep the horizontal nipples working. I'll find out in the morning since it's supposed to be in the mid 20's tonight. The light keeps the lid very warm, but not hot. I'm hoping this works, since my next option will be putting some kind of heater into the bucket. Something I'm really not wanting to have to do.
Looks good! I don't care what anyone says the 20's are COLD. When it gets 105 in the summer anything below freezing is cold in my books.
Hi everyone, I'm Chris and I live in Houston, Tx. I have 18 chickens and 1 white midget turkey. I really want more, but I live in a neighborhood and we have to follow the city ordinances. So that means no rooster or anything that will disturb your neighbor. So hopefully next year I will be able to move out the city on a 2 acre lot. I like what the city offers I just don't like living in the city anymore. I don't like that my girls can free range more and I really want a rooster! So I just wanted to say hi! #thecuckoofarm
Welcome from Round Rock. I'm so with you in that I can't wait to move to some land. We are thinking 5-10 acres would be amazing. I want my kids to grow up with an understanding of where things come from.

I would love to have 5 acres that would be perfect for me. That would give me plenty of room for what I would like to do. I think it great that kids know where are food come from and not the microwave or the frozen section at the grocery store. I try to find easy homemade things to make to save money and to learn something new. My problem is I get impatient and I start getting cranky because I can do what I want to do now. It will all work out. That is what matters. For now my chickens, turkey, 6 dogs and 1 cat can survive in the city until next year.

Back
Top Bottom