Texas

At 8:24 PM, we are reading 30 degrees. We have tiny icicles hanging off the branches and eaves. Crazy weather around here!
ep.gif
I'm afraid to go outside and look now, lol. We are at 29. This weather has just been soo unreal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Ant Farm

28 and falling here in SA. I don't have heaters for my waterers, so the past couple of days have been a REAL pain busting and removing ice, I tell ya!
he.gif

I know the feeling. We have so many poultry houses plus the donkeys' water troughs, it takes me almost two hours each trip to break the ice up on all the waterers. It's down to 15* right now. Hoping the water pipes don't freeze again. A couple of weeks ago I had to haul buckets of water from the pond to the other side of the pasture for the birds because the water troughs froze solid and didn't have any water because the pipes all froze.

I am originally from Missouri, so I am experienced driving in ice/snow conditions.
I am also near Rosenberg/Sugarland area. It rained yesterday, and is of course below freezing now, so I am sure the roads will be terrible! My husband who was born and raised here is taking our dog into Houston today to our vet. I laugh because he said to me years ago when we visited family up north "since I am a better driver, I should drive". It was of course snowing, and I just laughed and said ok, let's see how you do". Well after a few miles, I ended up driving.
Fast forward years later, yesterday I told him, "maby I should take her".
He said, no, no I am much better at driving in Houston.
I just had to bite my lip, and say alrighty then!! No use arguing with a hard headed man!!

I am originally from Missouri, so I am experienced driving in ice/snow conditions.
I am also near Rosenberg/Sugarland area. It rained yesterday, and is of course below freezing now, so I am sure the roads will be terrible! My husband who was born and raised here is taking our dog into Houston today to our vet. I laugh because he said to me years ago when we visited family up north "since I am a better driver, I should drive". It was of course snowing, and I just laughed and said ok, let's see how you do". Well after a few miles, I ended up driving.
Fast forward years later, yesterday I told him, "maby I should take her".
He said, no, no I am much better at driving in Houston.
I just had to bite my lip, and say alrighty then!! No use arguing with a hard headed man!!
Hello neighbor!! By birth, I am a Hoosier (Indiana). I understand what you are saying. My husband is an Okie and can be quite stubborn. We had just moved to Indiana when we had snow over night. We were headed to church the next morning when I mentioned we should bring our snow boots. He just laughed. I put the boots in the car. I told him we shouldn't take the back roads because the wind was blowing and there would be snow drifts. We took the back roads. We saw a car headed toward us but had stopped. He blinked his lights at us. Ken thought he wanted us to proceed. We were in a 3/4 ton Suburban. He took off and got stuck. I asked him if he would like to have his boots. :) After several other cars and trucks got stuck, we had a farmer come get us with his tractor. I miss that life!

This morning at 5 AM, we are reading 22 degrees and we do not have hot water. These old houses just weren't built for a hard freeze. We have a fire going in the wood burning stove and a pot of coffee on. The chickens are doing great!

Stay warm my friends!!

it's 40 right now where I'm at in texas.

It supposedly will get down to 28 tonight. I did have to break up the ice for the ducks and birds this morning. But it took little effort.

It's supposed to be 80 by Wednesday where I live.

I am slightly jealous you peoples had snow.

We only got down to like 40, where I live. There was no snow.
Our snow wasn't the good snow... this was more like snow grains than snow flakes. It lightly snowed for about 6 hours. We were not expecting accumulation but we got a light dusting. Just enough to make driving interesting... (white knuckle interesting). I hate driving in snow and ice... I have wrecked in it before and now I am not a fan... my husband on the other hand loves to see how far he can push it (and me) before he looses control.
Yesterday it did not get above 26 degrees, last night it got down to 12. We were cold to the bone and nothing got us warmed up like a fresh pot of shrimp gumbo.
Currently it is 15 degrees and I still haven't gone outside...I know I need to go check on my girls but IT'S COLD!!!!
Let me stop whining and get to work.
Have a great day y'all

Back
Top Bottom