Texas

So I picked up my first half of chicks today. The rest tomorrow AM. They are about week and half.
QUESTIONs:
1. Do I give them electrolytes in water just because it's new environment if they are drinking and eating fine within the first 20 min?
2. The heat lamp is a light. Will they think it's daytime all the time and confuse them?
[/IMG]

Last edited:
They look fine, if it were me, then I wouldn't give electrolytes.

Heat lamp will keep them in perpetual daylight, the only way around it would be an electic hen or a ceramic heater bulb thinkgie - or a heating pad - none of which give off light. I think people have been raising chicks under light 24/7 for a hundred years...and no major ill effects.

Chicks will fall down and sleep when they are tired - day or night. It should be okay.

cute chicks BTW. congrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemaransman

Can anyone tell me why Greenfire chicks are so expensive? Are they that good? Are they worth that much to a breeder? Any advice is welcome. Cleve
Do I think they are worth the money? No. They are still a hatchery, so they are working more on the model of hatching/selling QUANTITY, rather than QUALITY. Granted, it does cost a good bit of money to import birds into the U.S., so I understand they want to make their money back, but they are counting on the *rare* bird craze to get people to buy their stock and be willing to pay far more than the birds are really worth to most people. I can't recall many good quality, honest breeders, some of whom are poultry judges, that have had flattering things to say about GFF's business model or the quality of their poultry stock. If somebody really wants one of their birds and can't find the breed anywhere else, that person may feel the price is worth it, but for most folks it is not worth it. Most people I've seen that have bought GFF birds and tried to make their money back, either did not make their money back, or they were selling poor quality birds because they were focused on money rather than spending a few years to improve the birds they had, before selling them to the public. If a flock has had a lot of selective breeding to make them more than just a pretty feather duster, then a higher price is warranted, but I see far too many people, and hatcheries, banking on folks' ignorance of poultry to buy overpriced birds.

Can anyone tell me why Greenfire chicks are so expensive? Are they that good? Are they worth that much to a breeder? Any advice is welcome. Cleve

It is the rarety and supply and demand. GFF's business model is to find birds that aren't available elsewhere.
Do I think they are worth the money? No. They are still a hatchery, so they are working more on the model of hatching/selling QUANTITY, rather than QUALITY. Granted, it does cost a good bit of money to import birds into the U.S., so I understand they want to make their money back, but they are counting on the *rare* bird craze to get people to buy their stock and be willing to pay far more than the birds are really worth to most people. I can't recall many good quality, honest breeders, some of whom are poultry judges, that have had flattering things to say about GFF's business model or the quality of their poultry stock. If somebody really wants one of their birds and can't find the breed anywhere else, that person may feel the price is worth it, but for most folks it is not worth it. Most people I've seen that have bought GFF birds and tried to make their money back, either did not make their money back, or they were selling poor quality birds because they were focused on money rather than spending a few years to improve the birds they had, before selling them to the public. If a flock has had a lot of selective breeding to make them more than just a pretty feather duster, then a higher price is warranted, but I see far too many people, and hatcheries, banking on folks' ignorance of poultry to buy overpriced birds.
bnjrob - these are good observations and good points. I have to add from a little bit different perspective. I got Cream Legbars from them via someone who paid a lot of money back in 2012. They won an auction on rare breeds auctions and didn't keep all that they won, but sold off the extras.

Had it not been for GFF importing and selling the birds to Samantha in TX Hill Country, at Highview Ranch -- she was in Dripping Springs at that time, I think - I wouldn't have gotten CLs. To buy from someone driving distance is different than buying through rare breeds auctions. (Same birds - and probably with all she sold and later bred while they were the hot 'fad' she did make back her initial expense.)

So one person who is willing to pay the premium, may be able to cash in to a degree -- but I think the people who pay the highest for high-dollar birds also have a love of the rarity.

It subsequently trickles to people who are not willing to pay that high prices, but still get to enjoy the birds.

Improving a breed takes many years (and many discards/culls) - and that isn't GFF's business model. We can't fault them for the success that they have, and getting those rare genetic combinations out to people who appreciate them does help the survival of some rare breeds. JMO.

I still have the original birds -- and many generations have come from them and a few other CLs that I picked up along the way -- but mostly it was that pair that I got in 2012 and one other random Craigs List bird that are the ancestors of all the CLs that I have had.

Last edited:
We got our first 'weird' egg. I'm a little worried for the girl that laid it. I know it's normal for pullets to have a few kinks when they first start laying but the egg before this had a very bloody white, not just a blood spot. We only have two white egg layers (leghorns) so it should be easy enough to figure out which one it is. I've also had two occasions where the best has been wet but no obvious busted egg(I don't believe there are any egg eaters in the group) so I'm wondering if she's had a couple of shell less or super soft eggs. Before today the weirdest eggs we've had have been really small, round or super huge.

We got our first 'weird' egg. I'm a little worried for the girl that laid it. I know it's normal for pullets to have a few kinks when they first start laying but the egg before this had a very bloody white, not just a blood spot. We only have two white egg layers (leghorns) so it should be easy enough to figure out which one it is. I've also had two occasions where the best has been wet but no obvious busted egg(I don't believe there are any egg eaters in the group) so I'm wondering if she's had a couple of shell less or super soft eggs. Before today the weirdest eggs we've had have been really small, round or super huge.

i see something new everyday on BYC

lau.gif

Well that certainly takes the cake. Of all the odd shaped eggs my ladies have given me I have never seen anything like that.

Back
Top Bottom