The 10th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I set our eggs today, 15 total. I work the Saturday before Easter and I need them all hatched by Sunday latest.

All are barnyard mixes. Bresse, Jersey Giant and some others mixed with naked neck cross roos. 3 are from my own flock. I'm pretty sure one is from a nn hen I have and one is for sure from my RIR hen that I took warm from the nest this morning. My roo is a Bresse/Nn mix.
Good luck! Sure wish I was hatching along with ya'll!

Fired up the cabinet to make sure it would hold temp. So far so good.

Should have about 40 ee and 10 out of a mix pen by set day. If quail keep laying about 50 quail to set. 4 turkey eggs as if last night but can't count them as they are a week off. Hens were slackers.

So planning on setting about 100 total eggs.

:yesss:
image.jpg

Received my egg shipment from Meyer Hatchery yesterday. If anything, the eggs were overprotected! Amazing packing job, eggs arrived in perfect condition. Two layers of egg crate, one layer of foam “marshmallows”, one layer of solid foam, and the eggs were packed in egg shipping foam. Can’t tell yet what condition the air cells are in.

View attachment 1718839 View attachment 1718832 View attachment 1718835 View attachment 1718836 View attachment 1718837

Let me know if this should be posted somewhere else.
Very nice!

Fired up the cabinet to make sure it would hold temp. So far so good.

Should have about 40 ee and 10 out of a mix pen by set day. If quail keep laying about 50 quail to set. 4 turkey eggs as if last night but can't count them as they are a week off. Hens were slackers.

So planning on setting about 100 total eggs.
Nice!

So, one of my Buff Orpington hens is going broody. She's 3 years old and has gone broody consistently over the last two summers. I've never let her hatch any eggs so I don't know what kind of mother she'll be. At the moment, I have some eggs in the incubator and I'm debating on giving her some to see if she can hatch them. I'll need to scramble this weekend to create a space for her. Have something in mind that is integrated with our coop but would need some work. (aka - construction - eek)

So two things:
1. Would it be a problem to separate out some eggs from the incubator and sneak them under her at night? They will have been in the incubator for about a week by the time I'd be ready to set them under her.

2. Should I let her sit on some unfertilized or fake eggs, until the incubator eggs hatch, then sneak the babies under her?

Just looking for opinions and thoughts. This is new ground for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom