The 10th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of 7 eggs, 1 hatched Thursday night, 4 hatched on Friday, and 2 just hatched a few minutes ago so I did end up with some the day before Easter. I'm so excited since this is the first time I have used and incubator. Here is a picture through the incubator of today's chicks.

Attachments

• 20190420_141721.jpg
    20190420_141721.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190420_141731.jpg
    20190420_141731.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 5
I waited and I’m glad I did . This morning it was shrink wrapped a bit more and the veins were mostly gone . So I helped it out very slowly. One of its legs was in a odd position but not too bad.

If I hadn’t waited it would have been too early. I could tell that it had just finished absorbing the veins and I put a little bit of corn starch to make sure it didn’t start bleeding. There was a small amount of blood on the shell but not too bad.I put baby chick back in the incubator in a bowl so it won’t move around so much and it could rest.

Checked on the chick and I can say it’s not very happy . It was fussing at me for leaving him in the incubator all alone. I am leaving it for a bit longer though before I put it with the rest.

View attachment 1745184

It’s another silkie cross .

My last two eggs are just sitting and I leaning towards DIS. There isn’t any movement inside from what I can see. Still leaving them on since it’s day 21 but the no movement isn’t promising.
Good job!

So far of the 73 set for Easter, 54 went to lockdown.
Moved 37 this morning to the brooder, helped two that were shrink wrapped, left another that was still damp, and found one that had zipped and died. Left the 13 remaining eggs for more time.
Just checked to get a photo. One of the 13 has just hatched.
Here are the 37...
image.jpeg

And here are the 3 week old with the week olds...most are Wyandotte, some are bantam.
image.jpeg

I have five broody hens that will take chicks to raise. Momma Cochin goes broody several times a year and loves to raise babies. She will steal chicks from other hens...so she will get 15....she takes all ages.
Mary the black Wyandotte always raises 10.
Alice the Buff Orpington gets 12.
Winnie, the Sebright cross gets 5.
Martha the Chocolate Orpington will take 10.
Minerva the 9 year old Minorca doesn't go broody anymore, but takes 3 to 5 older chicks to foster.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom