The 10th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2FC6F8A6-B2B3-46ED-B909-2B5EB7C88E23.jpeg
6DCB4AA2-17B6-4CD4-B640-0778458C64B6.jpeg
883AE750-1E13-4AC4-9DE4-DDB9D4B59C61.jpeg
BF9FAEDB-F1E1-45E3-A14E-2F1FD5E00CC5.jpeg
Final count 16 hatched out of 18 set and 17 to lockdown.

No idea what breed these chicks are even tho they came out of my hens! LOL

Woke up early this morning and checked the incubator. I had 1 newly hatched chick!! It wasn't even the one that had pipped last night.:idunno Still hoping that one will make more progress and that the rest will start pipping and hatching today. So far nothing from the 2 eggs that made it to lockdown that I got from a fellow BYCer, but I haven't given up on them yet. It is only day 21 right now (until 8:30 tonight).
I have a birthday party to go too so I'm hoping I come home to more chicks!!

Oh man..to think I used to be going through this along with you all. Miss it! Cute sweet Babies. Good luck to those still waiting...ahem...patiently! Sharing a few photos of past babies I hatched.
20170627_123300.jpg
20170627_123404.jpg
030.JPG
20170516_113607.jpg
20170625_180247.jpg
This last photo ..the baby cracked me up. Heard the chirping of a newly hatched chick, went to see, and this is what I saw! That baby had it's feet out, crawling along with the shell stuck to it's head, ...and it's butt. :lol:

Last edited:
has she done this before?
I keep hearing how quail don't go broody

She hasn't and I don't think I'd call her outright broody, just tolerant of or mildly friendly to the chicks. She seems a little clueless beyond standing still while her feathers are chick-loaded and not pecking them for getting in the way of food and water, though I don't have another experience to compare to. However, keeping an eye on her has been easier than dealing with the chicks running out from under the heating pad because they were convinced the lighted area must be warmer. Tricky part right now is figuring out if last couple chicks waiting in incubator will fit under her feathers, she looks like she's doubled in size with the the current group.

I would wait.

I waited and I’m glad I did . This morning it was shrink wrapped a bit more and the veins were mostly gone . So I helped it out very slowly. One of its legs was in a odd position but not too bad.

If I hadn’t waited it would have been too early. I could tell that it had just finished absorbing the veins and I put a little bit of corn starch to make sure it didn’t start bleeding. There was a small amount of blood on the shell but not too bad.I put baby chick back in the incubator in a bowl so it won’t move around so much and it could rest.

Checked on the chick and I can say it’s not very happy . It was fussing at me for leaving him in the incubator all alone. I am leaving it for a bit longer though before I put it with the rest.

4F0C23AB-6C5E-424C-A4A9-53652331D85A.jpeg

It’s another silkie cross .

My last two eggs are just sitting and I leaning towards DIS. There isn’t any movement inside from what I can see. Still leaving them on since it’s day 21 but the no movement isn’t promising.

Woke up early this morning and checked the incubator. I had 1 newly hatched chick!! It wasn't even the one that had pipped last night.:idunno Still hoping that one will make more progress and that the rest will start pipping and hatching today. So far nothing from the 2 eggs that made it to lockdown that I got from a fellow BYCer, but I haven't given up on them yet. It is only day 21 right now (until 8:30 tonight).
I have a birthday party to go too so I'm hoping I come home to more chicks!!
That happens way to many times!

Congratulations on the hatch!

I waited and I’m glad I did . This morning it was shrink wrapped a bit more and the veins were mostly gone . So I helped it out very slowly. One of its legs was in a odd position but not too bad.

If I hadn’t waited it would have been too early. I could tell that it had just finished absorbing the veins and I put a little bit of corn starch to make sure it didn’t start bleeding. There was a small amount of blood on the shell but not too bad.I put baby chick back in the incubator in a bowl so it won’t move around so much and it could rest.

Checked on the chick and I can say it’s not very happy . It was fussing at me for leaving him in the incubator all alone. I am leaving it for a bit longer though before I put it with the rest.

View attachment 1745184

It’s another silkie cross .

My last two eggs are just sitting and I leaning towards DIS. There isn’t any movement inside from what I can see. Still leaving them on since it’s day 21 but the no movement isn’t promising.
Yes! I could tell by looking at the picture. There was too much red at the inside of the shell.

Nice job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom