The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
No signs of any hatching - mom set the eggs, not an incubator, and I put her on the eggs late in the evening on the 9th. I'll give it through tomorrow, but then I think I give up. Of course, another hen went broody today :( Third in a row, each goes broody the day or two after the other's eggs should be hatching, even though we've not had a successful hatch yet. So not sure what to do with the new Miss Broody, since it seems trying to have the broody momma's hatch eggs is a bust!

Ive not been able to keep up with posts the last 2 weeks due to our internet line being cut when our new home was brought in. But i had ordered eggs for this contest. They got lost in transit for 2 days. The shipper was worried they wouldnt develop, but I set them anyhow. Sure enough, he was right. I hate this happened, but I dont blame the shipper at all. He is actually sending me another batch. I do want to say congrats to all that had successful hatches.

That leg bend Up
Can you bring the leg around to it's correct position without hurting the chick? If you can, then position it correctly and tape the legs together in a hobble. See here:
https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces
No signs of any hatching - mom set the eggs, not an incubator, and I put her on the eggs late in the evening on the 9th. I'll give it through tomorrow, but then I think I give up. Of course, another hen went broody today :( Third in a row, each goes broody the day or two after the other's eggs should be hatching, even though we've not had a successful hatch yet. So not sure what to do with the new Miss Broody, since it seems trying to have the broody momma's hatch eggs is a bust!
Did you candle them to see if they had any development? Maybe get some eggs from someone else for them to hatch?
Oh, I forgot to ask......whats the best way to clean and disinfect your styrofoam bators?
I use a bleach/water solution. Rinse well and leave in out to dry completely.

Last edited:
Well we have 9 hatched and 3 still in the hatcher as I am not quite ready to give up on them yet! They had movement and I am thinking they might just be a little slow however they were shipped and have odd shaped air cells so I am keeping a close eye on them. If they do not pip by tomorrow (d24) I will check them and possibly float test.
One of our chicks hatched this morning in time for all the kids to watch real time which was so cool! And our little lemon cuckoo that had pipped on the wrong end and thru a blood vessel was able to hatch on her own!!! So we are very pleased with our hatch so far:)
We have 5 EE barnyard mix, 3 Orps and our one Lemon!! And our silkies but I didn't include those in our set
Count:) our Broodies have a few babies but I can not get the offical count just yet lol!

Don't forget to post your newly hatched chick pictures here:

Contest #12
2013 Easter Hatch-a-long

"Cutest Easter Chick/s Contest!"

Post your most beautiful New Chick/s Photos!
All fowl accepted, No fake editing or captions!
Chicks in your images MUST be hatched from eggs entered in the 2013 EASTER Hatch-A-Long!
Please don't compromise chicks by opening the incubator for pics!

The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...contest-12-cutest-easter-chick-s-contest/0_50

So last night I had two eggs left and one had been trying to zip for like 24 hours. Started to assist and realized he was tired and where he had started to zip was the right place, up under his wing, but he was so crammed in there, he couldn't move to go any further. So I picked off the end of the shell over the air sac and as I did so, out flopped a little wing, but his big noggin was still in there, so I picked down the side of the shell and out came his head. I put him back in the 'bator and let him finish it himself. Left him in there all night to dry off cause it was bedtime even though he was screaming cause i didn't want him to get chilled or trampled in the brooder. Thought that was it. Hadn't seen any action from the last egg and when I listened to it the other day, it didn't peep or tap back. Hadn't had a chance to candle it, so I thought I would leave it until the next night and then check. Well, to my surprise there were two chicks in the bator in the morning. And my late bloomer was well worth waiting for. Fluffy cheeks and looks like maybe it will be bearded. Biggest puffiest chick of all. And it's a reddish brown - the only one of this color. Absolutely the cutest thing I have ever seen. So, he makes it 12 hatched of 12 set and all are doing well! I chalk it up to beginners luck. I've set another batch (trying to get a few more offspring of some hens that weren't laying well due to the cold and short days). We'll see in 3 weeks if I can recreate this.

And my little miracle late bloomer - Isn't this the cutest thing you have ever seen?

Please keep those final hatch numbers coming in so we can close out the "Guess How Many Will Hatch" Contest and get that fantastic prize out to the winner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom