The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: I have ground up oyster shell will that work? it's very small almost like a powder I ground up myself. I bought it at TSC and then ground it up smaller.

No, Oyster shell is bad for their kidneys. You can grind up chicken grit if you have some of that for the big girls.

The Grit and the yogurt get their digestion system working--Pasty butt is a digestion problem like thrush.

Guess I need to finish this hatch up. It was my first hatch ever and I had shipped eggs. Set 15 eggs, pulled 5 during candling that were clear. Hatched 6 out of the remaining 10.

2 Wheaton Marans
3 Americaunas
1 Blue Marans

Overall not bad for a firt timer using shipped eggs.
Now to find my next batch!

Last edited:
No, Oyster shell is bad for their kidneys. You can grind up chicken grit if you have some of that for the big girls.

The Grit and the yogurt get their digestion system working--Pasty butt is a digestion problem like thrush.

How young can you give chick 'chick' grit? Yogurt? One of my silkies and one of my RIR had poop stuck to there butt last night, I noticed and soaked with a warm wet paper towel and cleaned off. None of them look like they are having this problem now, or yet anyway..

I have BCM in the incubator with Orpingtons now, my DH said it is more than enough now. Since the NYD hatch I have not turned off either incubator. He has no idea we have over 200 chicks. He just knows I buy a bag of chick feed a week.
lau.gif

What are you going to do with all those chicks?
a couple of my chicks are starting to get sticky butt. I added a teaspoon of ACV to their water today. What else should I do?
Turn up the heat a little that should fix it.

My first chick hatched today! and a picture of my pile of ducks!

still waiting on 5 more ducks to hatch, and 7 chicks!

yes speaking of post office- I always tell the seller to mark the box "hold at post office - call (my phone number) for delivery" so that my crummy mail lady doesn't ruin the eggs. I have literally seen her drop boxes of labeled hatching eggs out of her car window to the ground. anyways I just got 24 showgirl silkie eggs delivered today and instead of holding them at the post office and calling me like the box said to, they delivered them to the end of the road and put them sideways on the mailbox! crazy- at least she didn't drop them.

and my pets are awesome by the way- you wouldn't think so since some are creepy crawlies but some people think chickens are weird pets. Plus they all have different personalities, some tarantulas build really intricate webs, and you can make them build even cooler ones by putting sticks and other obstacles in the tank, the cockroaches all have different behaviors, some are bold and outgoing and some are more shy it's fun to experiment and see what their favorite foods are (mine love apples) , the scorpions build these really neat little burrows under the bark in their tank and when you feed them they dart out and grab a cricket and then run back to their den. oh and axolotls are salamanders that never complete metamorphosis - so they have little gills and have the sweetest little faces. I will post a pic:
I used to have a tarantula. She was a Chilean Rose. We named her Boris after The Who's song, "Boris the Spider".

My shipped eggs came today! I had both sellers mark the box to hold & call & even left a note with the PO, but they arrived at my door this afternoon. None broken, but I just LOVE how well they follow instructions!
They are standing still now in an egg carton. I candled looking for cracks/air cells...a few had detached air cells. Most were hard to find any air cells at all. A couple looked like they may have been scrambled? I know its hard to tell, but I could swear the yolk didn't look right. We'll see.

I have a different problem tho...staggered hatch. Last week my neighbor gave me some eggs from his hen that I fell in love with, a Flarry Eye Grey. She was living in my coop for a while & her eggs are fertile by my rooster. Since they were fertile, I kept them warm in my homemade bator, but I didn't do a great job building it so it is not trustworthy. After the hatch, I moved the FEGs into the Brinsea. I expect these eggs to hatch somewhere around the 16th. In the meantime, I don't know what to do with my shipped eggs. I was going to let them sit for a couple days to hopefully reattach the air cells, but can I put them in the ECO with eggs set to hatch 10 days sooner? I would not have bought these eggs if I knew my neighbor was going to give me these eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom