The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hatch is done. I candled, float tested, and cracked them open today.
sad.png

5 set
1 infertile
2 early deaths
2 late deaths

0% hatch rate.
hit.gif
One of the late deaths was a fully developed baby. It had absorbed the yolk and was in the hatching position. I think that it got shrink wrapped.
hit.gif
The other one looked like it got smooshed by the saddle shaped air cell. As sad as it was I am glad that I did the eggtopsy because now I know what to change for next time. I am just disappointed that there are no babies in the brooder.
hugs.gif
Oh that is so sad.
hugs.gif

Quote:

I already entered this photo on this contest - I think it's the same one:
2013 Easter Hatch-a-long Contest #12 "Cutest Easter Chick/s Contest!"

Quote:
It's called a Jiffy wing band - I bought them from Nationalband.com; They come in different colors and have numbers engraved on them; it's for ID purposes, so I can attempt to keep track of each chick. I wrote down in a notebook the number on the wing band, some identifying markings, the egg it came from, etc; When I take a picture of the chick, I first take a close-up of the wing band so I can read the # afterwards, and identify which chick it is.
It took awhile to figure out how to attach them, as the only instruction is written with simple drawings. They also have a video, but it won't play for me. They peep when you first attach them, but afterwards calm down and just try to "preen" it off. What's also great about it is that you don't have to change them as they grow, unlike leg bands which are very time-consuming having to change them every week or two when they're chicks. I've had a few fall off, but that's because I didn't attach them good enough.

So last egg in the hatcher was running around this am, sure don't look like a brahma!
Must have had a pen writing issue on the egg! LOL Cute nonetheless!
So cute! I have a weakness for blue chickens. That's why I got blue Barnevelders!
Happy Chooks
frow.gif

Thanks for all your hard work on the contests and helping us through the Easter Hatches!
thumbsup.gif
You are most welcome!
Quote: Thank you so much!
may I add...... "Can Sally Sunshine play next time too?" please!!!!
fl.gif
lol its what I do best! post post post! he he he
Absolutely, if I have anything to say about it.
The chick I had to assist still wasn't doing well so decided to cull this morning. That's never fun but for the best. Our shipped eggs never arrived and still awaiting word from the supplier before I crank up the incubator again. Hoping they get here this week so not too far off in age of this hatch. The drama today is our cat is giving birth. She's been needy and feisty/irritable for a few days now. I think all the young kids have been scratched even though they've been told to stay away from her.
I'm sorry.
Quote: If you need an extra judge, PM me.

I had 3 hatch.

It might be easier next time to have a seperate thread or an entry form to enter numbers, to make it a lot easier for you guys to count, instead of trying to sift through this whole thread.
wink.png
Hosting this hatch has been a HUGE learning experience for me. There are definitely some things I would change. It's a balancing act between keeping it less confusing, but easier to handle.

Mike (mlmddh) has done a fantastic job number crunching for me. And Sally has been a huge help with the contests, posting reminders and reminding me of closing dates.
Dah, Here means here on this thread doesn't it.
wink.png
Yup, sorry. Didn't mean to confuse you.
Quote: OMG Yay!
Quote:
Me too! It's been a ball. I look forward to taking part in more to come (but I'm not allowed to incubate more than at 6 week intervals from hatching).
says who?
Says coop space. Only broodies will be hatching until I grow out some of these 32 chicks I have right now.
th.gif
Thank goodness the DH doesn't go into the coops. It's gonna be crowded for a while!

Quote: My OH doesn't seem to 'collect' much. He once made a comment about the chickens and I told him that I don't count how many chilli plants he grows. It was the only thing I could think of lol. And he only had three...

Quote:
Me too! It's been a ball. I look forward to taking part in more to come (but I'm not allowed to incubate more than at 6 week intervals from hatching).
says who?
My sensible other half. Sort of. With that time interval, it doesn't seem to stretch his patience. As we brood them in the house to start with, if I hatch too much, it frays his nerves and makes him short-tempered. I don't mind too much. It means I get a dust-free house for at least a couple of weeks every now and again :)

I am not sure where to post final pictures..I posted my final results here.

31 set
31 hatched
all my own egg layers and English Orpingtons

The last three that hatched

All in the big brooder

The first 28

I have BCM in the incubator with Orpingtons now, my DH said it is more than enough now. Since the NYD hatch I have not turned off either incubator. He has no idea we have over 200 chicks. He just knows I buy a bag of chick feed a week.
lau.gif

I am not sure where to post final pictures..I posted my final results here.

31 set
31 hatched
all my own egg layers and English Orpingtons

The last three that hatched

All in the big brooder

The first 28
Nice hatch! Congrats!
I have BCM in the incubator with Orpingtons now, my DH said it is more than enough now. Since the NYD hatch I have not turned off either incubator. He has no idea we have over 200 chicks. He just knows I buy a bag of chick feed a week.
lau.gif
Oh boy, my DH would have a fit.

finally got my breda chicks (from the hatchery that sent me the wrong chicks a few weeks ago) I ordered 3 black and 3 blue but unless they are really similar as babies i am pretty sure they sent me 1 blue and 6 black... oh well, they are still cute.

that one brown chick in the background is not one of the bredas- he is just in the brooder with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom