The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the chicks in the outdoor brooder for a while. They are loving the fresh air. Watching to see if they get cold but they are running around like crazy. Have the heat lamp ready if they do.

Pirate-Skull-animated-Gif-mobile-wallpaper.gif

ANOTHER MINI CONTEST TONIGHT

SATURDAY 10PM EASTERN!
RIGHT HERE ON THIS THREAD!

We have another prize!

0014.gif
PirateSkullFlag.gif

Announcing a Mini Contest to be held TONIGHT,
Sat evening at 10 pm EASTERN TIME,
Right here on this main thread!

PRIZE:

$T2eC16VHJIQE9qUHtG6gBRQE3Q%21fSg~~60_1.JPG

Courtesy of Cynthia12

274.gif

Question for those with more experience - I have one chick who has broken off pieces of the egg shell, but it looks like the inner membrane is still intact. Is that normal? Shouldn't she have broke through the membrane first? Thanks!

Yes that's normal if they seem to only chip away eggshell at first. Just watch the membrane. If it looks white it's fine, if it becomes brown and leathery, she may need help.

For the totals I got today, the grand total was 21. I did loose four beautiful leghorns to a stupid mistake. We had the heat lamp right over a small brooder and they died within an hour. So the rest are in a large brooder with the lamp set much less directly. They are all huddled together so I'll keep checking on them.

Thank you Egghead_Jr and LadyCluck77. The membrane is still white so I will wait patiently. :)

I have four pipped so far and lots of peeping in the incubator!

Quote:
Vets Plus Poultry ProVita

www.jefferspet.com

http://www.jefferspet.com/vets-plus-poultry-provita/camid/liv/cp/0040957/
GROW GEL & FEED Newly hatched chick!

WHY I always add little soda caps full of grow gel when my first chick is fluffed in the incubator.
Does it do anything? I thought they had the yolk!
Read PAGE 6 http://www.thepoultrysite.com/focus/contents/ceva/OnlineBulletins/ob_2007/Article-No12-May07.pdf

GROW GEL Gro-Gel Plus is the perfect solution to getting your poultry off to that all important great start. For baby poultry to grow and live efficiently they must readily start to eat and drink. Gro-Gel Plus provides immediate nutrition and hydration for all baby poultry in a very concentrated and digestible form. Research has shown that it has improved livability and mature body weights substantially thus saving you bird loss and money in the long run.

ADULT FLOCK VITAMINS:
And as OZ suggested I use that for my adults get in waterers, 1 gram enough for gal waterer, or at the link is the manufacturers label which tells you how to make a liquid concentrate in a gallon jug and then I think its an oz per gal. I do it this way and keep the jug in the fridge aside my lower level sink, it works easier and quicker for me, plus my hubs would think I was a druggy had I keep small backs of white powder all over the place! adding what he adds.... ozexpat "It lacks 2 things that I want to give my birds - Biotin and Selenium I add some ground up human tablets I buy in bulk - just 5 tabs per 100lb of feed for adult birds."
http://www.jefferspet.com/vitamins.../camid/LIV/cp/A2-V5/

Great info.
I'm thinking that if a chick is not ready to eat then it won't have an appetite yet. I usually want baby everythings to eat as soon as possible! I want to know that they are getting nourished.
Thanks for putting this on here.

of course!

to  kill time..my day 21 on the next phase of my staggered hatch starts at 8pm  my son, 3 yr old daughter, and I went to a small animal swap meet this morning looking for a Rabbit...somehow 2 pair of columbian wyandotte banties (grown) and 4 Lav orp chicks, 6 silver partridge silkies chicks  , and 3 bantam Cochin chicks.. came home with us..and a used bass  type rabbit cage for $20 to hold the grown birds..
lol!!!! We did too this am. But luckily I behaved better than you did!!! I went to swap 2 quails for hatching eggs. So came home with hatching eggs and 2 silkie chicks, a bird cage and automatic turners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom