The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My final batch of eggs arrived today I ordered these english orpingtons a while back my heart sank when I saw the package.

What do I do?????

It's probably too late now by the time I post this. With boxes like this, you really need to show it to the postmaster and then open it in front of them. Occasionally they will accept pictures of the damage, but IME not often. And it has nothing to do with the seller, just the PO. The Post office if not often much help either, because even if the eggs candle scrambled, unless they are obviously broken from the mishandling, they won't want to reimburse you. They have a lot of fine print on shipping perishable items and not being responsible for late deliveries....
A lot of sellers will feel bad for you and replace the eggs, but they usually will want you to pay shipping.

I will be setting broodies tonight.
wee.gif

Yes, they are rocks. I have small ones under the hardware cloth and some that a bit larger on top of it around the edges. They act as a "heat sink", they hold heat so that the incubator temperature doesn't fluctuate as much.
I put rocks in my brooder. They hold the heat, so the chicks can cuddle up to/ or lay on them if they are cold.

My other doe gave birth to 2 BIG girls today (to make up for all the boys yesterday.) Done kidding for the season. Now I can concentrate on the HAL again. Lol

love.gif
congrats!! will you keep them! they are lovely with those long ears!
Reminder:
If you could also give us the total number you set, it would be helpful. It's a manual process to record this for us, there are over 300 participants and 3 of us. It would help us greatly if we didn't have to add up each individuals number set. Although we are interested in the breeds you set, please include the total number somewhere. Thank You!
wink.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenlisa

I set (yesterday afternoon because most of them arrived on Wednesday..and the last box arrived on Thursday) anyways: 11 Silver Birchen eggs, 12 Speckled Sussex eggs, and 14 assorted others (mostly Marans) for a total of 37 eggs for the Easter Hatch-A-Long. They are just incubating at temp right now..with no turning or water added. I want air cells to have a chance to settle for the 1st week, since the one box came with a badly broken egg. I am worried about the rest of those eggs' air cells. I tried to candle them but couldn't see well. Happy Hatch-A-Long everyone!
I also woke up to 6 OE chicks hatched for my March test hatch. 2 more eggs to go and the BCM egg has a big pip. Pics soon... No kittens yet though.
Thank you and good luck! Looking forward to the pics.

Yeah, I knew they count...but I'm wondering if I set them today with the others, that lockdown will be too late for those serama/serama mixed eggs...if they hatch two days earlier than the rest, shouldn't that mean they should go into lockdown two days early???
I see what you are saying. @Sally Sunshine has serama, maybe she can help.
I stop turning all eggs day 17 and watch air cells and candle often, when I see internals or a major dip in the air cell associated with the pre hatch positioning I up humdiity and lock down early if this happens before actual lockdown day 18, as I dont want to jeopardize any of the other standard size eggs in there

Product of my first hatch
awesome!! congrats!!

I'm a total slacker. Looks like I'm gonna run to Safeway or Trader Joes and pick up some fertile eggs this morning. They should be ready for the 12:00 set time.
th.gif
I wonder if the duck eggs at Whole Foods are fertile?

LOL !!!!
While I didn't intend to do this hatch-a-long in particular - I am setting eggs today, so I guess I am hatching-a-long!
jumpy.gif

welcome____animation____by_blueberry_taild4yxbhn.gif

Am I too late? I want going to join, but if I can, I'm in. With a half hour to spare.

welcome-108.gif

I'm in. I just set 12 silkies, 14 NN frizzled, and 10 lavender orpingtons. Excited!!
Animation_FrogWaveWelcome+(1).gif

Quote: She is LOVELY!!

My second batch ever!!! My first had only a 50% hatch rate, I had surgery and was unable to check on them for a few days and the humidity dropped. Hopefully this one will go better. I am hatching Buff Brahmas, Gold Lace Brahmas, Wyandotts and 2 of my own barnyard mix. Please wish me luck and keep us in your prayers. Nothing more sad than opening my unhatched eggs and seeing that I did not care for them well enough and the poor little things, although beautifully formed, died in the shell...I do have 8 beautiful healthy chicks now and am thankful for that :) Happy Hatching!

this is the count 41 total: 10 Wyandotts; 15 Gold Lace Brahmas; 14 Buff Brahmas and 2 Ameracauna by Lavender Orphington Rooster (Pappa).

I want to join! My Black Langshan Bantam hen decided that today was the day she wanted to go broody, so I guess it was meant to be!! She has 10 eggs under her and this is her first clutch ever!! I'm sooo excited!
0001.gif

You all are like Chicken/hatching super heroes! You all just keep on keepin' on.. through surgeries and all kinds of things! How do you do it!? I am very impressed.
iAgree.gif
robot-chicken-super-friends-1280-610x343.png

Quote:
No, you don't need to re-weigh them yet.
smile.png

thumbsup.gif

I think my brain has decided kittens aren't cute anymore. I live out on a dead end road in the country where people either dump cats, or just stop taking care of them. I feed my spayed and neutered barn cats (love them for the mice), but I have new unfixed cats move in all the time... And they have kittens. I have probably spent 1k altering cats that move in, and their kittens. I don't qualify for any low cost stuff. I guess I could just round them up and take them to the pound, but I know what would happen to them. I have a heavily pregnant one now and it makes me want to cry.

Your state may pay for spaying and neutering (as well as cat food) if you sign an agreement that the cats are used as natural pest control. A co-worker of mine was mentioning this to me, she runs a small dairy farm. She also gets a lot of cat drop-offs. It's worth checking with your state agricultural office.
Personally, I love the idea of letting the cats take care of the mice instead of having to put out poisons.

I will be setting broodies tonight.
wee.gif

Lucky. I have a cochin that has not gone broody yet. She's coming up on a yr. old. Thought for sure she would have tried by now. Maybe she will before this is over, then I can put some under her.

Random Funny Posting

AND
Mini Contests FUN Night!
5th Annual 2014 Easter Hatch-a-long PARTICIPANTS ONLY

Clear Your Schedules
&
Mark Your Calendars!
Friday April 11th

Donations are

STILL NEEDED for Mini contests!
If we dont get enough for Mini Contests we will still hold the random posting and offer all prizes for that alone.

We thought it would be fun to bring back some cool mini contests during a fun in posting night, its not necessary but with what we have planned it should be really fun to get involved with, so please donate and please MARK YOUR CALENDARS for that day/eve! see thread for times!

please message Sally Sunshine with donations!

Reminder this is run by hatchers and WON by participating hatchers only!
Listed below are some $5. and up ideas, reminder donator will also pay shipping to get the product to winner!

Hatching eggs of any type in sets of 6+, 10+ 12+, etc.
(please include a link if you have one to the image/s of your flock if not we will simply link your profile page)
BYC GFM Memberships donations (you simply purchase a 6 or 12 month GFM for winner)

BYC Chillin with my Peeps clothing

Amazon is an endless source of items, books, chicken stuff and most can be sent to Canadian residents as well! Last year some of us found some cool chicken books, recipe books, coffee mugs and so on!
Incubation tools are always a great item too, example weigh scales, thermometers and so forth!
Used items in GREAT shape may also be donated!
Hand made items are always great!
HERE is the link to LAST years prizes and donations!

We hope we can come up with even more for the mini contests!

NOTE: if you’re purchasing from Amazon or another webstore please be sure to send us the link to the item you’re donating so we can get the information!

NOTE: Gardeningmama will be setting up emails in the days following with the winner and donator to follow through that everyone gets their items!

BTW Donations will be accepted up until the 11th

a HUGE THANK YOU to those that have already contacted us! :)
We have already started to post in fun on the thread if you want to hop on!
PLEASE READ THE FIRST PAGE RULES AND INFO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom