The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Pozees and Sally. I will try that.
thumbsup.gif

My first hatch rate was great, but I had 2 hatch sticky this weekend and a bunch that never pipped (will eggtopsy tonight.)
hit.gif
Looks like I may have to make some humidity adjustments...

Last edited:
:idunno Quick question...

I have always done smaller hatches so opening the little lids on the top of my LG, didn't allow for too much heat loss.

With having the bator maxed out this time, will it hurt to remove the whole lid to candle?  Some are hard to reach otherwise.

I didn't see a reply to this so... It's fine. A hen gets up off eggs to do her thing and the eggs are fine.

So my two Midget White turkey hens went broody (in the same nest) this weekend. I have 4 turkey and 7 chicken eggs in the incubator due to hatch the weekend AFTER Easter that I'm thinking of giving to them. I know chickens will hatch anything, but are chicken eggs to fragile for turkey? Also, should I separate the hens? They seem pretty happy together...

OH OH OH ! I just heard faint chirping under two broody hens
yesss.gif
. I am sooooooo excited
wee.gif
woot.gif
ya.gif
. Other birds are hanging close to the brood area, every one is acting curious and whimsical. Amusing behavior I've never seen before. I love chick TV
pop.gif
love.gif
and could waste all day everyday just watching my birdy friends!

RIP MICKEY ROONEY, THANKS FOR THE LAUGHS..FOR THOSE OF US THAT REMEMBER. AND FOR THOSE OLD SOULS, BUT YOUNG IN AGE THAT LOVE THE OLD MOVIES.

Thanks Pozees and Sally. I will try that.
thumbsup.gif

My first hatch rate was great, but I had 2 hatch sticky this weekend and a bunch that never pipped (will eggtopsy tonight.)
hit.gif
Looks like I may have to make some humidity adjustments...
Dont feel bad, our area had some issues with humidity with the seasons this winter, we all ran pretty much dry until hatch, and finally corrected, but now we are adding some water again. Fickle weather! BLAME IT ON THE WEATHER I TELL YOU!!!
hugs.gif

OK, skipped 400+ posts & skimmed Ron's digests trying to catch up for the last 3 days.

Congrats TeaChick!
jumpy.gif

Cynthia12, please let me know how those eggs are doing after the PO hijacked & lost them yet again.
somad.gif

They are looking really good!! Now, I'm hoping they don't quit because of shipping problems, but, I am thinking once they start, they should be good, except possibly the ones with the air sacs clear up the side..and I mean waaaay up the side. Just a few bad air cells like that, but I can tell that many are developing already. Tomorrow will be a good to candle a few again.

Yesterday morning we chatted about the topic of elevation and the use of vent plugs. I am located at 7,700 feet, so I pulled my plugs to get as much air flowing as possible. I got the temperature stabilized again, but the humidity dropped to 20% (it's very dry here). I put one vent plug back in and added 2 more of my humidity cups (for a total of 3). This stabilized things at 99.7F and 40%.

This morning I decided to try and get the other vent plug out and stabilize the humidity. I added 2 more humidity cups (for a total of 5) and have been watching the temp carefully. The temperature I have gotten back up and stabilized, but the humidity just refuses to climb any higher than 20%. I don't have much more room for humidity cups, and am a little hesitant to fill the water reservoirs in the bottom of the incubator, as I've heard the water can be a real pain to get out if it's too much.

I know the answer to all humidity questions lies in the "watch the air cell" answer, but seeing as how I've had the humidity stable at 37-40% this entire hatch, I would think I should be trying to keep it there, even if it means filling a reservoir.

Any thoughts/advice? Thanks!!!
You could try putting sponges in your humidity cups,with the top of the sponge out of the water. It will help the water evaporate faster than just surface water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom