The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did you find those containers, ChickenCanoe? I may have to get some, there is a lot to be said for that kind of storage!

We have 42 acres, most of which has lain fallow going on 8 years now, the people that used it before we bought it ran 7 horses on it, which effectively destroyed it. It grows prairie grass every year and each year it's a bit better and more profuse, but we've also had drought conditions almost every year. This year I'd like to scatter some seed in swatchs and see what will grow and survive with only an initial watering, is it possible buckwheat could grow that way? I am late to do it already, should have done last month, but still want to try.

Quote:
highfive.gif

Sally I would think you should be able to find hookbill eggs, although they are likely very pricey. Many breeders have the hens hatch their own, then remove the first chick(s) that hatch from most of the larger parrots to ensure all hatched chicks live - cockatoos are notorious for hatching two and raising one, or at least that was the last I knew many years ago when I had parrots. They take a LOT more raising, but are so neat. If I was ever going to have parrots again, I'd get African Greys, Goffins Cockatoos, or one of the smaller Macaws. Greys are so smart, and usually pretty quiet as parrots go, Goffins are quieter than other Cockatoos and smaller as well, so easier to manage, and while I only ever had the larger Macaws I had a friend with a pair of ... cannot remember, Severes maybe? that were smaller than my Green Wings and Blue and Golds, and they seemed much calmer and quieter than my birds. ChickenCanoe can tell you LOTS more about Macaws than I can, though.
I will have to study up on breeds for sure! Thank you so much! I am cheap so this is probably going to fall through
lau.gif

Quote: LOL!

I would say they are comfortable! once they are warm and dry and eating and drinking they are comfy! nothing like little phyco quail in the brooder! ha ha ha dont you love that chest bunting so little!!

Just to update: I just candled my eggs this morning and the results at 10 1nd 11 days into incubation

6 clear and 4 Blood-rings

45 still in incubator for now:

14 Lavender Ameraucana 1 not sure of but left in for now
18 Chocolate/Dun Laced Bantam Polish
5 Buff Bantam Polish
1 Khaki Bantam Polish
7 Araucana

I did not wish to take pictures of all so just a sample of some.
Good

Good

Clear

Bloodring

Good

Good

I have had internet Issues the past few days but back now. Here is that quick info on how to build the drill plucker.

I used 3 inch pvc with a cap. Drilled a hole in the cap and sent a carage bolt through. Heated the bolt on the stove first so it would melt and seat.in the cap.In the pipe I marked and drilled the holes for the bungee cords. Must be the old rubber kind. Fed them through. Then I glued the cap on and placed 2 set screws in just because. Attach to an electric drill and pluck away. Here are a few pics. I know this is short ans simple so pm me if you have questions.

LOL!

I would say they are comfortable! once they are warm and dry and eating and drinking they are comfy! nothing like little phyco quail in the brooder! ha ha ha dont you love that chest bunting so little!!
Sounds good. Psycho quail is a perfect way to describe them. I had 23 in the same brooder last Autumn, in the guest bedroom (next to the master bedroom). They were loud, rambunctious & smelly! My DH was not happy.
lol.png

I guess I should be counting my blessings, since these guys are perfect little angels. The chest bunting is new, and awesome, I agree.

Last night, I candled the 93 eggs that I had set for the hatch. Only 16 out of 41 shipped eggs showed signs of development. A few had blood rings with no veining but most were neon clear. The eggs from my own birds were part of an experiment with a new turner that DH rigged up. They were older eggs because I just loaded it up with what I had. Only 22 out of 52 are developing. I knew that there was the chance that not all of them were fertile. My Pita Pinta cockerel is a busy boy but obviously not covering all the girls in his harem. I now know who isn't getting any loving! So my total eggs dropped from 93 to 38. It was so hard to throw that many eggs out! I candled the rejects 3 times and made my daughter confirm it.
sad.png

I wonder if one can by exotic bird eggs, like those big parrots and such?  
HarmonyAnn asked for a bird for in the house and I think it would be fun to hatch one, and I am home and can care for one, I think it would be fun to try. 
i love big parrots and parrots in general. With some living 100+ years thats a big responsibility. I feel so bad for parrots that live 50 plus years with someone who loves and cares for them then after the human dies the sometimes go to crappy homes to finish off their final years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom