The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We candled our eggs Friday and we have 12 going great! 1 ring of doom and 1 that looks clear. left them in until next candle but I am sure that is where we are. On a side note we got these today!!!

Last night, I candled the 93 eggs that I had set for the hatch. Only 16 out of 41 shipped eggs showed signs of development. A few had blood rings with no veining but most were neon clear. The eggs from my own birds were part of an experiment with a new turner that DH rigged up. They were older eggs because I just loaded it up with what I had. Only 22 out of 52 are developing. I knew that there was the chance that not all of them were fertile. My Pita Pinta cockerel is a busy boy but obviously not covering all the girls in his harem. I now know who isn't getting any loving! So my total eggs dropped from 93 to 38. It was so hard to throw that many eggs out! I candled the rejects 3 times and made my daughter confirm it.
sad.png

Most of the time on shipped eggs you are lucky to get even half of them to hatch. But some time you get lucky on the shipped eggs. Sorry so many of your 93 eggs did not do good, Good luck on the ones left, Hope they hatch for you.

My buff eggs show the rooster in that pen was not doing a great job, but that is what testing the eggs helps us to see what the different roosters are doing.
I notice some of my roosters favor some hens and hardly pay attention to other hens in their flock!

I have already posted this blurry pic lol, But it was late at night and I'm not sure if many people saw it, this was OOmoo....LAST WEEK.....

he is HUGE now, the size of a chicken and he is only a month old.
They are so cute! My kids would be horrified at the mucking chores though. I can just see the reaction were I to add Emu's to the flock.

The bummer is they did it under the gate into the run.... I am thinking a few large pavers there, and I think thats a great idea for the bent wire at the long fence, but mowing it could be bad in the summer.
Anyone know how much rebar costs? I may run landscape ties or even just 2x4s at the bottom and ram some rebar down into the grown and tack on the wire fence. IDK but I have to do something and NOW! Thanks for the great idea!

Sally, not quite sure I picture what you have, but when I told my DH you were thinking of getting rebar, he says, may as well get the concrete liner instead..would cost about the same..at least out here.
I went out and took photos of what he did for our fence. He cemented the posts in, then ran some fence post along the ground and tied the chicken wire to the fence post on the ground. On the dog side..and she is a digger, but out last Golden was too, not as bad, but we still put big ol rocks down along the fence line. We have a lot of those around here. Just go up the canyon and you can find a lot..lol. Not sure you can find them where you are for free. But this is how we keep our dog out of the chicken runs. She is good out there with me while I am working with the chickens. She is all around them, doesn't bother them, not sure I would trust her alone..?? Will post photos in a min.

Here is how he tied the fence to the post on the ground. No rocks on this side..it would still be easy to dig up, but I liked it being tied down to keep smaller babies from getting through when I had them in there, now I have a grow out pen. :p

Rocks do the trick, check out the roots dug up around that cherry tree! That's from
more than one dog in the past years. My Missy, she's a sweetheart. She is staying
for the photo.

Look at the innocent little face, check out the nice little spot she dug for herself
to lay her shoulder in. She uses one of the rocks for a pillow!

Last edited:
Cattle panels laid flat on the ground tied to the base of the pen is the best dog proofing you can do. They try to dig next to the fence and are not smart enough or devoted enough to start digging 4 feet back away from the pen. You can cover with dirt or grass will grow threw and cover them. Plus they are galvanized so they will last a long time

was it here that posted the video of shipped packages at a sort facility on conveyor belts? I want to post it in a different forum I am following and I can't seem to find it online. It wasn't specifically shipped eggs, just packages in general, but it had a great shot of the packages being dumped from 4-6 feet onto the belts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom