The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I candled tonight because I needed room... Got more eggs today!
I have 31 left from my 53 (I think that's right) set for this HAL. I added 38 eggs to my bator though! Yikes!! Don't tell the husband!! :oops:
I also have 11 eggs in the hatcher. There are 3 external pips but none of them are the Jubilee Orps I want soooo bad. :( It's just now day 21 but I really want them to hatch.

Well just as a note, as I closed it down tonight, two broodies have decided to share the remaining 15 eggs and the five chicks. They broke a pipping egg in a squabble for nest rights, probably a few hours away from hatch and decided to share. It is absolutely hilarious to watch chicks go out to eat & drink & try to figure out which broody to go back to cause they both purr, tidbit, and scratch close feed for the chicks. I am a little sad cause I saw the panic and intensity of the hens trying to get the chick out of the shell, it was gasping, look fully formed, just needed a few more hours...it was very sad and I felt so bad for the hens trying to get it up & running. Nature is so beautiful & cruel. Two more went broody today. This will make five....not sure I can handle or accommodate that many. Can the sound of chirping chicks cause a hen to brood? I am beginning to think so. The two new broodies just absolutely locked down, stealing eegs, growling, ALL puffed up. I truly do not know how you incubator folks handle it all. I think I may write something up, I would like to have an incubator cause you never know when a hen may go broody, but a broody takes care of so much. Trying to hatch, everybody sounds like a kid with a box of Cracker Jacks...just can't wait for the prize at the bottom of the box. Of my hatches, I know one is a Sultan, maybe silkie mix dad. Grey , black face, five toes, and feathers like you stuck it in a light socket!

Well just as a note, as I closed it down tonight, two broodies have decided to share the remaining 15 eggs and the five chicks. They broke a pipping egg in a squabble for nest rights, probably a few hours away from hatch  and decided to share. It is absolutely hilarious to watch chicks go out to eat & drink & try to figure out which broody to go back to cause they both purr, tidbit, and scratch close feed for the chicks. I am a little sad cause I saw the panic and intensity of the hens trying to get the chick out of the shell, it was gasping, look fully formed, just needed a few more hours...it was very sad and I felt so bad for the hens trying to get it up & running. Nature is so beautiful & cruel. Two more went broody today. This will make five....not sure I can handle or accommodate that many. Can the sound of chirping chicks cause a hen to brood? I am beginning to think so. The two new broodies just absolutely locked down, stealing eegs, growling, ALL puffed up. I truly do not know how you incubator folks handle it all. I think I may write something up, I would like to have an incubator cause you never know when a hen may go broody, but a broody takes care of so much. Trying to hatch, everybody sounds like a kid with a box of Cracker Jacks...just can't wait for the prize at the bottom of the box.  Of my hatches, I know one is a Sultan, maybe silkie mix dad. Grey , black face, five toes, and feathers like you stuck it in a light socket!

In my area all I have is guineas and they hide their nest. They never lay inside the pen. Outside the pen their are predators at night. So I have to use an incubator in order to save the hens and eggs!

I am sure it is what ever the incubator says it should be! That must be perfect right? -smh- I hate this thing
lau.gif
Yes,it must be spot on. Would it help if it played a little song?

I am not disrespecting anyone using an incubator, I would LOVE to have one of those little self turning models.( Brisn something) I personally was not ready to have chicks at this time last year, although it was in the plans for the near future, now I just had hens go absolutely broody and taking over the favorite nesting boxes. I built them a maternity ward and moved them and now I have more broody hens showing up. I wasn't even ready when I got these birds at this time last year as an adoption/rescue thing. Two days of warmer weather and I'm knee deep! I'm sure we'll work it out, I would just like to be able to catch my breath now & then. My hubby would LOVE to have Guineas, I told him AFTER we get the chicken thing all squared away. I was offered quail ( all I would take) ducks and turkeys this year already. Got to get the chickie birds set up better first, so hard to say no !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom