The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have a photo of how I tape its legs together, I've fixed toes last year on those rescued chicks I got from the preschool Cynthia, remember those poor chicks. Anyways, I know how to do that, but not the legs. And I don't know if I should try to get it dry, its not drying, its really sticky wet.

Someone PM'd me and said I should try washing it off with warm water and towel drying it that it could be yolk that is making it not dry, do you think I should try that, and then tape its legs. Like with electrical tape? I should have that somewhere, I do have band aids, I just don't know how you go about doing it. I guess I could go look it up, but I need to get it to dry. Its really extremely wet and sticky. I rolled it over for a minute to see if would stay when I took the photo, and its sticky soaking wet. Its not drying at all.
Put the baby in a small cup like Arielle suggested. I put paper towels in there. Helps them hold their heads up if you make a fluffy spot for them. Actually, I find that even the sticky will get fluffy after a while.
I cut the tape in a long strip. I then cut that in half when I am going to tape legs together. Remember, you want them at the same length. You may need help holding the chick, I am used to doing this now, and can do it alone, but if you find it hard to hold the baby still, get someone to help you. Tape one side, then make it about the width you see your other little chicks legs. Make sure the toes are pointing out straight. Tape them at that width. Wish I had a photo of one. I only have the feet. Next time I will take a photo of one with it, keep it on hand.

I have 6 more in lockdown and 7 in the incubator- I really hope I get some good colors with the seramas

Someone PM'd me and said I should try washing it off with warm water and towel drying it that it could be yolk that is making it not dry, do you think I should try that, and then tape its legs. Like with electrical tape? I should have that somewhere, I do have band aids, I just don't know how you go about doing it. I guess I could go look it up, but I need to get it to dry. Its really extremely wet and sticky. I rolled it over for a minute to see if would stay when I took the photo, and its sticky soaking wet. Its not drying at all.

As far as smell, I guess I could go smell it, but when I opened up the bator for a minute to take a photo, it didn't smell. Or I didn't notice an odor, but I did it super fast since I do have 8 eggs still in there
Yes, a warm not hot, bath and dry it off. Keep it warm. Then hobble and put in cup, place in warm brooder, doesn't need to go back into incubator.

I've got 2 out (EE banty and a bcm) and 4 more pipped! :weee Hopefully more will be out or pipped by morning before I have to go to work.

Congrats on all the chickies so far everybody!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom