The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just went into my barn and found my silkie sitting on 3 eggs.... She only was sitting on 1. I just check the eggs and two of them are due in 2 week and the other one is due in 1 week...
ep.gif

My condolences to everyone who has lost feathered family lately.
hugs.gif
I can't imagine losing any of my babies though I know it's bound to happen at some point.

I have a question for you guys though. I don't think it's possible but I want to ask anyway. I hatched out a few babies for my MIL for the HAL, 2 white/yellow and 1 gold. Now I hatched out a baby of hers during the winter and it was a beautiful white rooster. Is it possible to make a red sexlink with reversed parent? I mean she has NHRed hens and a white(silver?) Roo. I'm curious if all the whites will turn out male. I hope not for her sake.
lol.png

Quote: Awww yay! So cute
smile.png

Good luck on the zipping and pipped eggs!!!

The one that was zipping hatched around 30 minutes ago. Not cheeping too much like the others were so I am thinking tired because of long time to come out. Another one is zipping now!
wee.gif

My final count was 5 hatched out of 24, then lost 2 of them. So, down to 3. The one with the long dried up cord and sac is still hanging in there. Daily, I snip a little of the dried stuff off then spray it with antibacterial stuff. If when I snip it it's really dry, then I'll snip a little more off until I get to a softer/moister part. Then I stop. I don't want to cause any bleeding. I helped him for 2 days to find the food and water and helped him to eat and drink. Last night when I got home from work I walked to the aquarium and I spotted him dipping his head in for a drink all by himself! I was sooo proud of him!
celebrate.gif
yesss.gif

He's so much smaller than the other 2 that hatched with him.... He's gotten so used to drinking from my fingernail that when I reach in there for any reason he nibbles my fingers! The other 2 started doing it now too! So, I try to keep my fingers away from them! They sure don't need any help finding food and water!

This morning I did not help him and just watched lovingly through the glass and they all 3 ran up and cheeped at me! Then one by one went off to eat some breakfast!

internal pip is when the chick breaks into the air cell thru internal membrane but not Shell, External pip where the chick just breaks thru the shell ...zipping it where the chick works it way around the egg to get out..

I still have no chick count for this HAL, my broody Momma whose hatch date was Monday is still sitting tight, I've heard some peeps under there, but not even a glimpse of a chick....I dunno if she ate them or what! I don't want to check under her as I don't want to move her when chicks could be actively hatching under there. That, and I value my fingers too much -yup, she's a meanie..
:idunno

Last edited:
So I just went into my barn and found my silkie sitting on 3 eggs.... She only was sitting on 1. I just check the eggs and two of them are due in 2 week and the other one is due in 1 week... :eek:

Keep an eye on her when it's time to hatch.. Ideally, you would give her eggs all at the same time, she would hatch them all within a day or 2 of each other, that way when she takes them out for their first walk showing them how to scratch and where the food and water are, she's not leaving any actively hatching chicks behind.

Woot! Day 19 on my missing in action eggs..as I call them. I have two pips.

Silkie, one is the big white egg..didn't those birds laid such large eggs! And one is from a small brown egg. And they pipped in the right end! That white egg had quite a high air sac too..hope they make it the rest of the way. And more to come!
My sumatra lays nice big eggs. You should get a black chick from the white egg. A small medium brown egg, long & pointy, would be from the buff orp. She lays the smallest egg of all of my large fowl except for 1 polish pullet. If it's a bigger brownish/pinkish egg then it's from 1 of the wyandotte hens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarneyeggs

I still have no chick count for this HAL, my broody Momma whose hatch date was Monday is still sitting tight, I've heard some peeps under there, but not even a glimpse of a chick....I dunno if she ate them or what! I don't want to check under her as I don't want to move her when chicks could be actively hatching under there. That, and I value my fingers too much -yup, she's a meanie..
idunno.gif

Go out tonight with a flashlight & grab her in the dark while she sleeps, then shine the light into the nest & count the fuzzies before plopping her back on the nest & running for your life in the dark.
gig.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom