The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh boy mom just let me know she is going to hatch out of one of my coolerbators.....so you can count birdmansmom is....lol...this ought to be interesting...lol
woot.gif
go mom....

Going to end up eating my words on "I'm going to set all the eggs I get this week" lol....I got 5 times, more than I was expecting....for one day!
I was almost going to do the same thing. I was like you know what Im gonna set every egg from every pen (a lot of mixed breeds) and then sell them later for a few small dollars each just for the fun of it. Then yesterday I went to collect my eggs and I got 14 eggs in the one day. I already have a ton saved for the hatch a long nevermind adding another 10-15 more eggs each day on top of it. I quickly changed my mind lol and I will only be setting from my Cream Legbar.

I read a lot. I don't have a local Beekeeping Association, so mostly, I've learned by trial and error. There is a new beekeeping section on BYH.
I have seen the beekeeping section on BYH and have skimmed through a bit. We have been talking for years about taking a beekeeping class but every February something comes up and we cant make it to the classes. I really hope next year will be our year
fl.gif

The last two or three nights I have been dreaming about eggs and chickens!! Getting the eggs ready, setting the eggs, hatching chicks. (I know I am excited to be setting this week, but really!!) Well this morning a little before 7 I am laying in bed and my (just turned) 7 year old son is cuddled up beside me (as usual...lol) . I hear him say something that sounded like "Do you like chickens?" I was pretty sure he was sleeping so I didn't say anything. Not getting an answer he repeated his question (a little louder and a bit aggravated at not being answered...lol). "Do you like Turkens!?" was what he was asking. This time I answered him with a "Yes." He mumbled something under his breath about "Mommy" and turned over and back into a deep sleep.....lol So apparently I am not the only one excited and dreaming about chickens. I thought it was funny. I asked him this morning about it and he said he was asking Grandpa in his dream if he liked turkens.....lol

I think I am going to join! I have a Cream Legbar Roo, with two Creamies, an Arucana/Speckled Sussex, two Welsummer mixes, two Leghorns, two Black sex links, and one unknown. I will be collecting eggs for the next few days. I am picking up a self-turning incubator from a friend today. Does anyone have experience with these? The friend has used it once in the past, with no success, but I think she had power outages when she did it. Also, how many days can I keep the eggs before putting them in the incubator? I have eggs from the past three days, I was wondering if those will still be able to set in the incubator if they are a week old on the 14th.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing all the babies.

I think I am going to join! I have a Cream Legbar Roo, with two Creamies, an Arucana/Speckled Sussex, two Welsummer mixes, two Leghorns, two Black sex links, and one unknown. I will be collecting eggs for the next few days. I am picking up a self-turning incubator from a friend today. Does anyone have experience with these? The friend has used it once in the past, with no success, but I think she had power outages when she did it. Also, how many days can I keep the eggs before putting them in the incubator? I have eggs from the past three days, I was wondering if those will still be able to set in the incubator if they are a week old on the 14th.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing all the babies.
You can keep eggs stored for up to 2weeks reasonably without losing viability, eggs older than 2weeks can be used also but chances of them hatching starts to go down with each extra day stored.. I store usually for up to 12 days before setting eggs.

You guys recommend the advanced or Eco Brinsea octagon incubator? Or is it better to buy a mini advance?
get the advanced. The eco is cheaper but the advanced is all digital and so much easier to maintain than the eco. I had an eco and as long as the house was steady for temps, it was fine. Let the temp swing a few degrees and I'd have to fiddle with it to straighten it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom