The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh! I wish you were closer! I have lots of extra eggs from our three flocks! Buff Orpingtons, Marans, Barred Rocks... But I checked on Google and you are over 2 1/2 hours North of us.
sad.png
I am near Fostoria, MI.
I have never even heard of Fostoria, though I suspect you have never heard of Barton City, either, lol. Orps and Marans, I've never had those, they would be cool to try! Maybe we an do a meet up in the future, or for next year's HAL.

so official count, set today 18 silkies from mail (8 lavenders in it !!!), 14 d'uccles from my stock and 6 gray pheasant peacock set yesterday for a total of 38. all got a prespray of ascorbic acid and were dried before put in. this will be my last hatching for many months unless something unusual gets offered.

I'm setting 18 eggs. The Blue eggs are from Ebay and I'm not sure they will survive because they were covered in yolk and I had to gently wash them. The rest are from my mixed flock but my rooster is only 13 weeks old so I don't know if they are fertile. I hope I get a few...

I set:

5 Sebastopole Goose eggs
9 Appenzeller Spitzhauben
20 Black Coper Meran
6 Cream Brabanter

40 total!
That doesn't count the other about 6 dozen that were already set before the 14th!

I thought I needed to get the temp settled at around 99.5 to hatch? Right now it's anywhere from 103 to 97, depending on which thermometer I'm looking at. I just bought a Farm Innovator 4200 yesterday, because my brinsea mini broke.

I live in nowhere land; I just tried finding a hydrometer/thermometer that would fit in the incubator. Everything the local stores carry is too big. I ordered a brinsea spot check off of amazon, but that won't be here until tuesday, and I got two different oral thermometers. They were reading within a half a degree of eachother when I checked them out, but now they're showing 2 degrees different in the incubator; 1 at 103, the other at 101. The probe that came with the incubator is reading about 98 and the built in is at 97. I just don't know what to do. I want to set the eggs, but I don't know what to trust, and I'm really getting frustrated with this whole thing. Why have a built in thermometer if it isn't going to be accurate? I wish my brinsea was working.
you can try to stabilize the temp more by adding baggies of water or freezer packs(not frozen of course) these will help to even out the temp fluctuations-just keep them to the sides and dont block the airflow

Thermometers can be off my more when the temperature goes up. a small difference at 32 degrees can be a big one at 99.5.

Use a digital thermometer for checking your body temperature to calibrate you incubators--so take your temperature if you can and compare it to the thermometer in the incubator.

I would toss thei noe that say 103. It is likely off by a lot.

My digital ones are for checking body temp. They're the ones that were reading 103 and 101 in the incubator. They were reading almost the same temp, within half a degree, when I tested them on myself and in a glass of hot water. The probe one that came with the incubator; I'm just not sure how to check it. I tried comparing it to an indoor thermometer I have, and it's reading higher than that is, but I really don't know that that is accurate either. It's mounted on cardboard, so I can't stick it in water. And it didn't really register anything when I tried to check it against my body temperature.

Yes, I put them in a little less than an hour ago. Hoping for the best! I have a digital hydrometer/thermometer coming that I ordered from Amazon but until then I'm going to go with the 2 glass ones I just bought at the local hardware store...

I think you are brave. I don't know. Maybe I should just put them in and cross my fingers. I guess if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.
you can try to stabilize the temp more by adding baggies of water or freezer packs(not frozen of course) these will help to even out the temp fluctuations-just keep them to the sides and dont block the airflow

I guess I'm still not sure what I'm trying to stabalize it too. I can't figure out if any of my thermometers are accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom