The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know they went broody this young! Any advice on what to do? Mine free range all day... Should I try to separate them somehow? I have only hatched chicks and have absolutely no experience with this lol!
I put out a dog kennel--a small one and put some pine chips inside with water and feed outside(flock raiser). Move Mom into it along with the chicks and shut it for the night if you have predators. Let them back out in the morning.

I had them separated from the flock but they might be fine with your flock.

Last edited:
I put out a dog kennel--a small one and put some pine chips inside  with water and feed outside(flock raiser). Move Mom into it along with the chicks and shut it for the night if you have predators. Let them back out in the morning.

I had them separated from the flock but they might be fine with your flock.

Thanks! I'll give that a try and watch them closely when I let them back out tomorrow.
1f60a.png

Well out of the four pullets that I raised from the Easter hatch along, 1 has finally started laying. Got the first one I think on Wednesday and one today. The first egg was really thin shelled and cracked very easily before I got it into the house. The second one today was very pullet sized egg. I think it maybe be from either the Aloha hen or the Aloha NN pullet.

Last edited:
My black Ausie was the first of the bunch to lay too....at about 5 mo.... now getting a regular bunch of Mini's from pretty much the whole new flock....

They are EEs and speckled sussex mixed with amber link, australorp, and orpington.

Edit to add: I'm getting zero pullet eggs. Even my hens are down to 1-2 a day (I have six laying hens). But they were molting, so there's that.

Last edited:
I think that all of my Easter Hatch Along pullets are laying except for the Black Penedesencas, but they are starting to get a lot redder in the comb.... So hopefully by the end of October or sooner
: )}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom