The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, one more question. I found out the hard way last time that my hens will not tolerate a completely docile rooster and I'm sad to say that Trip ended starving while I was out of state because neither of my parents were in good enough health to catch him. My older girls wouldn't let him eat and they picked on him pretty bad. Getting hens out of the eggs I hatch will just be a bonus since I'm mainly trying to hatch a rooster.

So, my question is: Are the roosters from the Horstman line pushy or otherwise firm with the hens?

No opinion on the line. However, young roosters will often be pushed around by older hens but the roosters will eventually fill their role.
Until then, always keep multiple food and water sources/locations.

Last edited:
I am afraid that I am not going to have a a good size to set to hatch for the hatch a long we are experiencing extreme temperatures where I live right now and my girls have still not picked up liked they had at this time last year! :barnie  Anyone else having this wonderful weather?

Woke up this morning to temps of -8 with wind chills up to -35. Yuck! We only got about 4 inches more of snow yesterday but the cold is killer!

Sounds all to familiar.

Here is my back deck, only partially shoveled so we can bring the dogs out.

DH and I got up on our roof yesterday and spent 3 hours shoveling knee deep snow off the roof, only got half done so we need to get back up there today. In the eves of the roof because of the snow drifts the snow is waist deep
th.gif
I don't even want to look at the roof here....

There is a porch under all of this... The ducks are sitting on well over a foot of packed snow...

The Khakis do not look impressed. They are still laying like champs though!

Some of the geese hanging out by the potting bench on the back porch. About 3/4 of the height of the legs is buried in the snow.

I'm in! We will be setting some silkies and lavender orpingtons
smile.png

Hopefully they will lay some eggs in this awful weather!

I just need to find space in my bator..........

If not, we better get moving on a new one
This looks awesome! Did you make that yourself? If you did could you pm me what you are using for a heat source? And how it is set up inside? I made one, but am having temperature issues and what type of fans do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom