The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Rats, I just sexed al of my nine chicks and at least 5 are Roos which means I have only 3 girls and can only keep one at best I'm pretty bummed out right now.:(

Rats, I just sexed al of my nine chicks and at least 5 are Roos which means I have only 3 girls and can only keep one at best I'm pretty bummed out right now.
sad.png
Did you hatch sex links or have an autosexing breed?

No but I vent sexed and wing sexed but I did have a few auto sexing breed
sad.png
If you are good at vent sexing then use it only. Unless you have breeding a fast feathering breed to a slow feathering breed and the feathering speed is linked to gender, it does not work.

It does not work within a breed. You can tell with some breeds later, at 4 weeks or so but still not very conclusive.

Oh thanks that means maybe I don't have than many Roos yay yay yay
Yes!

Feathering at hatch is a sex linked trait.

The table below contains some of the birds that can be crossed to produce chicks that can be feather sexed.

Any of the males in the table, can be crossed with any of the females in the table to produce offspring that can be feather sexed. If you purchased your birds from a hatchery, check with the hatchery to see if the hatchery feather sexed the birds you purchased. If your stock was feather sexed, then the chickens can not be used for feather sexing crosses.

13371_sexfaether.jpg

Quote:
hugs.gif
Thanks Mike. It's all good! I wasn't expecting a great numbers hatch when I was setting all those "aged" eggs. I had figured "maybe" 20ish.
I sure hadn't figured they'd take that long to hatch though! Especially when many others were early. That waiting was a killer!
gig.gif

(It'll warrant further investigation with the new 'bator on my part)

Does anyone on here use a cabinet incubator? I am contemplating getting one and I really would like some input on if they are worth the money. I have been using styro bators and my hatches have been awful. Not even 50% and everything goes great until lock down. Lock down seems to go good, humidity stays where it's suppose to and everything, the eggs are just not hatching.
barnie.gif
It's really frustrating. So I just need to know, do eggs hatch better in the cabinets.
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom