The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Quote:
I bid $46. was out bid that is as far as I will go. It would mean building a new pen too. But he is beautiful
It would be soo worth it though.

Quote:
hugs.gif
Thanks Sally. We were going to do it again today, but it started raining. I didn't even finish filing his hooves.

Cynthia - I'm with you on blue chickens. I have a blue English Orp and a couple of blue olive eggers. Splash is really getting to me too, a good splash pattern is gorgeous.
Me too. I have 2 blue Andalusians and one splash.

It looks like the egg is candled from the bottom and does not show the veins well. The embryo is likely on the other side.

In a couple of days you will likely see the veins better at the top of the line going from the small end to the big end.

like this:

This is on day 8 of incubation and is a pita pinta egg.

Thanks.Today is day 10 will candle again at day 14
fl.gif

Get a simple light from the store( as little as $1) and grab some electric tape. Creat a comb that your egg can safely sit up against. This will keep the light from cracking the egg
1f635.png
not fun.

good idea, both of these I have in the house,, will make and test out on day 14. Thank you

Went to the TRC yesterday to get more food for the chickies and some sweet feed for my pregnant ewes. Picked up some oyster shell as well and some deer natural rock salt (great for trace minerals and makes strong healthy lambs). So I put a small bowl with a half cup in with the Bantam Wyandottes and the Sapphire that has started to lay. Tizzy the Sapphire runs over to the bowl and hovers pecking as fast as she can. Anytime the two Wyandotte girls try to gets some she pecks them. So I go off to feed the sheep, the minis and the other chickens. I come back about 30 minutes later and the bowl is completely consumed. I add another half cup and the same scene resumes. Thirty minutes later the bowl is overturned but only a smattering of oyster shell left. A full cup of oyster shell and most of it eaten by Tizzy.
ep.gif

Mine too!! I had an order with fowl stuff two years ago, but the order fell thru. I actually just got ahold of a breeder in NC that says he can ship in 5 weeks or so, I am happy with that! Fingers crossed it all works out!

I hope it works out! I had no idea there was anyone breeding them in NC. I'd love to see how they turn out!

Cynthia - I'm with you on blue chickens. I have a blue English Orp and a couple of blue olive eggers. Splash is really getting to me too, a good splash pattern is gorgeous.

I've been trying to get a pretty splash! Well, I have one now, but, has red in it. I kept going back and forth as to what it was..girl, boy? Today I looked at it and said, you are a boy. Just came in from putting a few little ones back into their coop...and there it was! It's a boy..and his crow is already loud! He's only just coming up on three months..but looks four. Wonder if he would start breeding my big girls..wonder if I could get a nice splash. I have him in with some Blue Copper Marans..pure. Thought if he was a she, would be great, because I have a male and two female Marans..now I need to separate him. Not that they are old enough to lay yet, but might as well. I have 3 EE girls that would be a good mix with him..they aren't old enough to lay yet either. A couple of months. I have a beautiful marans mix out there that lays really pretty dark eggs. I want a splash!

Back
Top Bottom