The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

My Serama started laying and I'm tempted to put eggs in the bator but I gotta wait
1f62b.png
1f62b.png
1f62b.png

I've never seen or heard of Vorwerks. But I didn't realize they were rare. Although now that you mention it, their eggs were one of the pricier eggs...lol! After reading her description of their temperament, I thought they sounded like they would fit in nicely with my flock. It's nice to hear that you are familiar with them AND love them! Helps ease my mind...lol. I love the eggs...SO easy to candle! And I like that they've been laying Jan/Feb. Between the Vorworks and my EE's...I should have steady eggs all fall/winter. :woot "IF" I'm successful at hatching some of the eggs, I want to see how the different breeds do against each other. I thought it would be the quickest way to make decisions on which breeds to bring into the flock to outcross.:celebrate
I look forward to seeing pictures of them! I've seen a couple bantams at shows. Never large fowl.
I didn't ask if they were fertile or not. Sorry for not trimming--I'm on my phone...
[COLOR=4B0082]Was that at me...about not asking if they are fertile?[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]If it is...yes, the Vorwerk and the other breeds are supposed to be fertile. I purchased them from a breeder.[/COLOR]
EMU Egg update! I weighed the eggs last week and they have all lost about 15% of their original weight. I had to use a different scale though as I think the first one I used was rounding the weights up to the nearest 50grams which is throwing everything off. I was able to calculate what the original weight of the eggs most likely was using a formula I found online. In any case, the eggs are rolling along nicely. Sure wish I could candle them, but I'm fairly certain I have viable eggs. When I turn them now I notice that they try to rotate back to the position they were previously in. Based on experience with my chicken eggs, I believe this is because the growing embryo inside weights the egg as it settles which causes it to want to stay in the same position. So, I have to prop them up a little bit to keep them from rolling back. I take this as a good sign that all is well and I have baby Emus in all of my eggs! (just a theory..:) lol) My younger son came in with some duck eggs a few days ago (we have three Rouen ducks, 1 drake and 2 hens) He asked if we could try and incubate the eggs so they are now in our spare incubator! Timing wise they won't hatch on Easter, but what the heck! We had our chicken coop decimated the day after New Years. A dog got into the coop and gorged on our chickens. We lost all but two. Luckily the dog left the ducks alone and our beautiful Royal Palm turkey flew away to safety. It was a hard blow and the kids were super upset. So when my son asked to hatch a couple duck eggs, how could I say no?? On a sorta semi-sweet note, the night the dog killed our chickens I found one lone egg in the nesting boxes. I heated up the incubator and hatched the little sweetie. We are calling her "Legacy" in remembrance of our lost chickens. Not sure who her parents are, but she looks like our old EE roo and maybe the golden laced hen we had. She's darn cute no matter what! :yiipchick So that is the EMU egg update and a little more....:p
All sounds good with the emu eggs! Thanks for the update! I hope your duck eggs do well! I'm so very sorry to hear of your flock loss, that is a tough one for an adult to take, let alone children. :hugs [COLOR=4B0082]X 2[/COLOR]
12705751_10204181185649645_8437698432745258479_n.jpg
I will call her Breeze. As @GitaBooks suggested. She suggested that on a very breezy day. I had just been out there taking care of the chickens, and there she stood, with those ruffled curley feathers just blowing this way and that! I was just chuckling at her. I will call her Breeze, Breezy.. remember the tune for Cover Girl? Easy Breezy Cover Girl? Something like that. She's my little Cover Girl... She doesn't need the makeup though! ;)
Perfect name! She does look like she's strutting down the runway. [CONTENTEMBED=/t/1074649/the-7th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long/4600_50#post_16568037 layout=inline][COLOR=4B0082]X 2[/COLOR][/CONTENTEMBED]
[COLOR=4B0082]I've never seen or heard of Vorwerks. But I didn't realize they were rare. Although now that you mention it, their eggs were one of the pricier eggs...lol![/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]After reading her description of their temperament, I thought they sounded like they would fit in nicely with my flock. It's nice to hear that you are familiar with them AND love them! Helps ease my mind...lol.[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]I love the eggs...SO easy to candle! And I like that they've been laying Jan/Feb. Between the Vorworks and my EE's...I should have steady eggs all fall/winter. :woot [/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]"IF" I'm successful at hatching some of the eggs, I want to see how the different breeds do against each other. I thought it would be the quickest way to make decisions on which breeds to bring into the flock to outcross.:celebrate [/COLOR]
I look forward to seeing pictures of them! I've seen a couple bantams at shows. Never large fowl.
[COLOR=4B0082]Now I just have to hatch them successfully![/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]:th :oops: [/COLOR] :fl :fl :fl [COLOR=4B0082] pretty much sums up how I'm feeling about the purchased eggs...lol![/COLOR]
Oops, sorry, no, Chooks asked if the emu eggs at the feed store were fertile or not :)

yesss.gif
[COLOR=4B0082]Tell your husband that some crazy woman on here is going to set 100 plus eggs that her husband doesn't know about. (yet) [/COLOR]:eek: [COLOR=4B0082]Best case scenario is he'll think you are totally awesome and wonderful in comparison![/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]Worse case scenario...we could share rent while we're divorcing?[/COLOR] :idunno :gig [COLOR=4B0082]You are obsessed with tree fiddy. As a friend, I thought you should know that[/COLOR]. :p :gig
Randy Macho Man Savage!! I believe he had a run in or two with LOCHNESSIE :hugs

@Sally Sunshine
  You asked!   And thank you for asking.  My DH is doing soo much better.  Still no lab report back on the cancer, but soon.  I'm not worried, if you are going to have a skin cancer, I am reading this is the easiest one to take care of.  Not as much coughing from his cold now, he is feeling stronger too.  So thank you!

This weekend?  We are going to dinner..hopefully DH will feel a whole lot better by tomorrow night...to meet our son's future in laws.  He is getting married in April.  Our baby.  Yes, our baby.  Happy, I am happy.  We love this girl he is marrying.  She is a sweetheart. 

Aw, good luck with the in laws... I can no wrap my head around my sons being married (mainly, I completely avoid thinking my children will grow up at all cost) But it must be a comfort to like his future wife.

My husband has dealt with skin cancer a couple of times - Squamous Cell. Altogether was simple and no issue to treat. My issue is the man hasn't learned to wear sun screen :hit

I hatched a rainbow of chicks lol I should do a contest called GUESS THAT BREED lol
2 roosters a RIR and an Easter Egger, with my hens being 1 Plymouth Rock, 2 Marans, 4Jersey, 2 RHoad Island Whites

[COLOR=800000]Oh don't remind me![/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]I just got that off my mind for the first time all day....:barnie I'm counting down the days until they announce the winner :fl [/COLOR] [COLOR=006400]NEED...SERAMA...EGGS...
droolin.gif
[/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]So today i started my search for "cool" store eggs, i went to three different "health" stores looking for[/COLOR] [COLOR=808080]EE eggs[/COLOR][COLOR=B22222],[/COLOR] [COLOR=006400]duck eggs[/COLOR][COLOR=B22222],[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]quail eggs[/COLOR][COLOR=B22222], etc...[/COLOR] [COLOR=808080]No luck finding any EE eggs, but i have seen them there before, why didn't i think to try to hatch them when i saw them a while back!?[/COLOR] :tongue [COLOR=006400]I found some duck eggs but i contacted the farm, and they told me that they don't have any drakes yet, but they are going to get drakes in the spring (not in time for the easter HAL).[/COLOR][COLOR=8B4513]and absolutely no quail eggs.[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]BUT[/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]i did see something that i technically didn't come in looking for...[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]BLACK[/COLOR][COLOR=FF8C00]COPPER[/COLOR][COLOR=800080]MARAN EGGS![/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]So pretty![/COLOR] :love [COLOR=B22222]The farm they were from was[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]CAROL'S EGGS[/COLOR][COLOR=B22222]. I contacted them this morning asking if they were fertile, but they haven't emailed me back yet... hoping they are fertile![/COLOR] :fl [COLOR=B22222]On their website they said they have[/COLOR] [COLOR=808080]Ameraucana[/COLOR] [COLOR=B22222]eggs available in some stores, my store is not one of them, bummer.[/COLOR] :/ [COLOR=008080]It has been a good day, even though i didn't find the eggs i was looking for i still found some "cool" eggs[/COLOR] :ya [COLOR=4B0082]I did not buy any eggs, i was using everything inside of me to wait until the HAL...[/COLOR] [COLOR=00FF00]Like my rainbow post? lol[/COLOR]
To bad your not in mobile al area. The local feed store have EE chicks but are calling them Americana. I didn't know that until I showed my babies to my friend and told her what I got. She told me she went by too and they we EEs not americanas. Her good friend ordered those chicks for the store.
1f602.png
1f602.png
yeah I'll have green (or blue) eggs next year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom