The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Wish I could participate this year but my eggs aren't here yet..... My fault
Always next year... but this year I get to watch the experts and learn from them
pop.gif
Maybe they will get here tomorrow!

That's a bunch of eggs!!!  :jumpy I hope all of them hatch for you. :yiipchick

Thanks!!

I hope yours do too!!! :highfive:

@mlm Mike

37 total set - Saturday 3:00 p.m.

12 Icelandic eggs from my flock
7 Icelandic eggs from a friend's flock
6 Welsummer eggs from another friend's flock
12 Mille Fleur d'uccle shipped eggs 

We had a couple of birthdays this week and had family staying Friday through this afternoon, but managed to get eggs over to my neighbor's house and into the incubator. Now we wait.........I'll be out of town for a week and the incubator is at my friend's house so I can't do too much fretting and looking and checking. I will candle on the 16th and pull anything that needs to go. If there are broody hens by then, I'll see what is good and give the hens some eggs to hatch!!

Icelandics... :love

Btw, thanks for helping out my friend, Phil... :D :hugs

I lost all my quotes. Thank you to everyone that was concerned. I'm feeling much better now. At this point I'm just tired. My in-laws were over today for a cook out and I had to help with a lot of stuff. 

I got the chance to check a few of my eggs earlier, so I candled my Silkie eggs. 100% fertility! 

Go Talos!!! :yesss:

Rest and feel better soon!

Last edited:
Sheesh, with these rain storms, maybe it's just as well that I had to bow out... After running the dehumidifier for four hours straight, the humidity in the house is all the way down to 66%! It started out at 80%...

I always have hawks. Always (they nest in or near my yard). But there have been a lot more around in the past day or so - it's that time of year. I have several different "family groups" and they have large fenced paddocks (which I rotate to allow the ground to recover). I stretch that surveyor tape back and forth criss-crossed over the top of the paddock. While not perfect protection, it has worked well so far, and new hawks occasionally perch in trees just above them as if they are trying to figure it out, before giving up. I realize they may make it trough one day, but it's a reasonable deterrent. That, and most of my chickens have good instincts about when to take cover. My yard looked horrific with all that criss-crossed pink tape - so I ordered dark green tape off of Amazon. Still works, but looks a lot better. Hey, draye!!! :frow @draye , are you thinking what I'm thinking?! These are BEGGING to be crossed with NNs as part of the Calico/Aloha NN goal! I look forward to seeing what these turn out to be like... - Ant Farm
Yep! Sounded pretty before I even knew ehat hey were.

I want him!!!!
Believe it or not about three months ago he was about to be culled. I got the all the stuff out to cull him. Because I turned my back one mourning started walking. Next thing I know he was coming right at me. He didn't attack he just put his feathers on his neck out and stood his ground at me. I chased him down grabbed him and through him in a dog cage to be culled. Well long story short it's my mom and girlfriends favorite rooster. So they begged me then my mom put down the mom hammer. So he got a stay of execution. I told them they had 1 month cause they swore to work with him. They go out and feed him treats now and pet him. And we haven't had a problem since. Even after are scuffle the one time he eats out of my hand now. So I'm glad they rehabilitated him cause he's a beautiful our breed black Minorca. But I still keep a close eye on him. So far so good. I have little nephews so I have a zero aggressive rooster tolerance. My 3 year old nephew Liam loves to go out and feed the chickens. But Merlin is doing good now and hasn't shown any aggression since the one time. Maybe something spooked him or something that day I'm not sure.

Believe it or not about three months ago he was about to be culled. I got the all the stuff out to cull him. Because I turned my back one mourning started walking. Next thing I know he was coming right at me. He didn't attack he just put his feathers on his neck out and stood his ground at me. I chased him down grabbed him and through him in a dog cage to be culled. Well long story short it's my mom and girlfriends favorite rooster. So they begged me then my mom put down the mom hammer. So he got a stay of execution. I told them they had 1 month cause they swore to work with him. They go out and feed him treats now and pet him. And we haven't had a problem since. Even after are scuffle the one time he eats out of my hand now. So I'm glad they rehabilitated him cause he's a beautiful our breed black Minorca. But I still keep a close eye on him. So far so good. I have little nephews so I have a zero aggressive rooster tolerance. My 3 year old nephew Liam loves to go out and feed the chickens. But Merlin is doing good now and hasn't shown any aggression since the one time. Maybe something spooked him or something that day I'm not sure.

Hey my first rooster was just as sweet as could be until he hit maturity. My son went out with me and he found his first egg (my avatar picture). He was holding it up showing me. Moments later I turn to get another egg and hear him scream. That rooster had sliced my son from knee to mid calf. He was good eating
1f60a.png
but my son is scared of the roosters now. The hens he will play with but stays far from the Roos.

Hey my first rooster was just as sweet as could be until he hit maturity. My son went out with me and he found his first egg (my avatar picture). He was holding it up showing me. Moments later I turn to get another egg and hear him scream. That rooster had sliced my son from knee to mid calf. He was good eating
1f60a.png
but my son is scared of the roosters now. The hens he will play with but stays far from the Roos.
Ya that's why I have a zero tolerance policy. There's to many good roosters out there. And when you throw kids in the mix it's just to dangerous. My nephews mean more to me then any of my flock. And I love my flock.

Back
Top Bottom