The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

I didn't expect 10 eggs much less 64.
1f602.png
1f602.png

Here's the eggs set in the new "cabinet cooler bator" :

Yes, I know that bottom turner is empty, but need better air circulation before putting any eggs down there.

And the rest are double-stacked in the Genesis 1588 egg turner - top layer newest eggs & bottom layer of eggs due to hatch on the 11th. So, will be moving them to the hatcher Tomorrow!

I've double stacked many times & as long as there is a rubber band around the egg turner motor & "channel", it does just fine. You're "not supposed to", but the warranty ended way before this! :) I just check them a few times a day, as sometimes the top eggs fall over on their side.

Breakdown of what I set Sunday evening:

36 from SFH coop, including 6 eggs from a Catskill Homesteader hen who lays green eggs & one light brown egg laying CH.

All the rest are Catskill Homesteader eggs from several groups, some of which I just separated with a "new" rooster, so they're not pure for him yet, but still wanted to hatch from them.
11 - Michael Jessie's Group (he's turning 4yrs in April- Blue Andalusian/EE) - all khaki green layers
6 Muffy's Group - multi-generation Catskill Homesteaders with a little Bielefelder genetics - dark brown eggs - recently separated
11 "Mini Flower" (SFH/bantam Cochin) Rooster's Group - 3 green (crested SFH/CH), 2 small pink (bantam Cochin/SFH), 3 small light brown (Elly May - bantam Cochin/Silkie), 3 LG light brown (SFH/CH from 2014 hatch) - they were in PA/DC area with same rooster, plus "Joshua" & his two "sons" - so test hatch to see who was the dominant one.

26 khaki green, blue/green eggs from PA/DC Coops ( multiple CH roosters)
6 light brown & 4 "pink" - PA/DC Coops

Here's the eggs set in the new "cabinet cooler bator" :

Yes, I know that bottom turner is empty, but need better air circulation before putting any eggs down there.

And the rest are double-stacked in the Genesis 1588 egg turner - top layer newest eggs & bottom layer of eggs due to hatch on the 11th. So, will be moving them to the hatcher Tomorrow!

I've double stacked many times & as long as there is a rubber band around the egg turner motor & "channel", it does just fine. You're "not supposed to", but the warranty ended way before this! :) I just check them a few times a day, as sometimes the top eggs fall over on their side.

Breakdown of what I set Sunday evening:

36 from SFH coop, including 6 eggs from a Catskill Homesteader hen who lays green eggs & one light brown egg laying CH.

All the rest are Catskill Homesteader eggs from several groups, some of which I just separated with a "new" rooster, so they're not pure for him yet, but still wanted to hatch from them.
11 - Michael Jessie's Group (he's turning 4yrs in April- Blue Andalusian/EE) - all khaki green layers
6 Muffy's Group - multi-generation Catskill Homesteaders with a little Bielefelder genetics - dark brown eggs - recently separated
11 "Mini Flower" (SFH/bantam Cochin) Rooster's Group - 3 green (crested SFH/CH), 2 small pink (bantam Cochin/SFH), 3 small light brown (Elly May - bantam Cochin/Silkie), 3 LG light brown (SFH/CH from 2014 hatch) - they were in PA/DC area with same rooster, plus "Joshua" & his two "sons" - so test hatch to see who was the dominant one.

26 khaki green, blue/green eggs from PA/DC Coops ( multiple CH roosters)
6 light brown & 4 "pink" - PA/DC Coops
what's a Catskill homesteader?

I set 20 more eggs today. I have no idea what they are. Some were only 20-25g. What kind of chicken lays an egg that small? My Silkies and Cochins lay eggs that are about 40g... So weird. It will be a surprise!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom