The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

but mine has puffy cheeks
wink.png

look like jumbo brown (normal tan ones), Texas A&M, and British range I think; colors on your quail that is

Yes, yourz are adorable too. The black one with huge puffy cheeks especially, and the pink-tipped toes are just too cute
love.gif
Did I mention I luv little burd feeties?
lau.gif

Those are all coturnix, they are just different color mutations.
smile.png
Thanks! I was thinking maybe that's how it goes, that they just throw different colors but are the same breed.

look like jumbo brown (normal tan ones), Texas A&M, and British range I think; colors on your quail that is
Jumbo are the same size as the rest? I looked up some Jumbos & they showed these quail that were just MASSIVE! Thank you! I thought the white ones were the same look as the pictures of Texas A&Ms.
smile.png

Looks like 2 Scarletts (the dark ones), two English or Texas A&Ms (size is the only difference), The two golden speckled onez are really interesting. That is not one of the standard colors. It looks like the combination of Roux and Italian Speckeld. If they can produce more of that pattern that would be really good. I am using the pictures from James Marie Farms as a comparison.
http://www.jamesmariefarms.com/cqv-specialityClass-overview.html

That's funny, I thought my little gold/caramel colored ones were the standard color of coturnix!
lol.png

Since my LG incubator killed 17 chicks this time, and 12 last time i'm on the market for a new one. Any recommendations for good incubators in the $100-200 range?

Sorry about your chicks. Hova-bators are pretty good for styrofoam incubators, especially circulated air ones, also there is the Mini Advance (or Eco) which I love, but will only hold 7-10 chicken eggs (7 with the turner, 10 if you hand turn and cram them in). Right now I have 2 R-com 'bators and love them, but they cost about $200-$300 for one that holds 20 eggs
hmm.png
. You could also make a cooler-bator for pretty cheap, seems like those work very well. Heres some ideas if you are interested https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-egg-incubator-designs-pictures

I have 4 chicks out now,
wee.gif

I think the first 2 that started to zip are stuck and might need help zipping the rest of the way!
\BUT I have a lot of pips, and some mid-zip, so I can't open the incubator just yet... hold tight little babies!!
jumpy.gif

this is still day 20, so they are a bit early and I'm thinking I will lower my incubator temperature slightly for the next hatch
fl.gif

Since my LG incubator killed 17 chicks this time, and 12 last time i'm on the market for a new one. Any recommendations for good incubators in the $100-200 range?

I absolutely love my circulated air styrofoam Hovabator. I have had one for several years now that has reliably incubated hundreds of eggs for me with not so much as a hiccup. I bought another one after trying out several other incubators to use as a hatcher. They are both so reliable

If you're looking for something that is a set and forget sort of incubator, you can't go wrong with an Incuview. Just turn it on, set your eggs, and check the humidity once or twice a day. You just need to make sure you have a second hygrometer inside. The one on the lid can't be trusted to be accurate.

Back
Top Bottom