The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

All my chicks are under a Boody and I need to take them somewhere for a few hours can I take the chicks without the hen for a few hours with a heat lamp or no

I have been just miserable all day.

A critter climbed in my shed window (that I forgot to close) and killed my entire brooder of chicks. Not just a few... all 41.i woke up to find 41 dead chicks, or what was left of them. It was just freaking horrible to clean up. The only silver lining is my older new bloodline faverolles were untouched.

I'm so sorry.
1f631.png
1f62d.png

Checked under our broody Ginger one egg no signs of life, two chicks, and one egg stalled. The stalled egg I brought in and placed in the incubator and have begun an assist. The membrane was hard and glued to the chick around the pip and the pip had not progressed since last night so I felt it was time. It's been over 24 hours.

The other egg we opened a small hole in the aircell and discovered we were correct it was dead. Eggtopsy revealed a very sadly messed up little chick. It was a cross beak. It's head was misshapen and I believe it only had one eye that had developed. It also only had one leg.

I took some pictures I would like to know if anyone can give me any insight. However I don't think I am able to make a hidden picture group from my cell phone. If it's okay if I post them please let me know.

I have been just miserable all day.

A critter climbed in my shed window (that I forgot to close) and killed my entire brooder of chicks. Not just a few... all 41.i woke up to find 41 dead chicks, or what was left of them. It was just freaking horrible to clean up. The only silver lining is my older new bloodline faverolles were untouched.
I am so sorry for your loss of your hatch...
hugs.gif

Okay everyone these images may be hard for some to see I don't know how to hide them or I would. I'm thankful that this chick did not survive to hatch but it's still sad. Little thing didn't have a snoballs chance.
These images could be hard for some to stomach.

This side of its head is flat and it seems to not have an eye on this side. You can also see how messed up his back is. The lower beak was longer and also somewhat crossbeaked.

The other side of its head had a rather large bulge including what appears to be one normal eye and a visible dark area just below its skin. I'm wondering if the missing eye is under the skin on the same side as the other normal looking eye. I don't know if you can see the size of the bulge or the darkness under the skin in the photo.

You can see in this photo he only had one leg. He did appear to have a normal looking vent. He did seem to have a possible misshapen abdomen but that could have been from absorbing the egg yolk I'm not sure.

Everything was absorbed but I think due to its cross beak and lack of leg it couldnt make an external pip let alone zip.
Poor baby. Oh also this chick is a silver laced wyandotte/buff Orpington mix.

Last edited:
All my chicks are under a Boody and I need to take them somewhere for a few hours can I take the chicks without the hen for a few hours with a heat lamp or no

Soooo can I take them or do they need to stay with mama this event is tomorrow so I would really like some feedback on this please;)

I'm "finally" back on the computer and have caught up!
celebrate.gif

Thank you for being patient.

I had expected to be hatching Sunday/Monday. Last time I got a chance to post I had live chicks in the shells but nothing was happening. I had four pips but no progression after a lengthy wait so I assisted with the top part of the shell and they kicked out of the bottom half themselves. One weaker chick died, leaving 3 chicks. I candled the rest, some were visibly alive but a few appeared to have perished in the shell.

Last night I finally called it and started opening eggs. There were two weak chicks that were still alive, but they died last night. A third chick, turned out to be viable. I opened the egg completely and took him out. He is completely normal and is cruising around...lol. I'm still a bit shocked about this chick. I was expecting sticky chicks but there were none. This was a painfully long incubation and I hope to not have this again...lol.

So in the end, 3 pipped that required assistance. The last survived because I opened the egg.

@mlm Mike ...my total is 4 but I don't know if the last chick counts since I hatched him out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom