The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

I havent set all the eggs. Still finishing up a hatch of almost 70, so a small amount of good sense prevailed.

Here is what I did set though-

35 Silverudd's Blue
24 Swedish Flower Hen
 7 American Breese
12 Silver Ameraucana
15 Lemon Frisian Gull
  2 Golden Cuckoo Marans
  1 Alsteirer

Total 96. I may add to this tomorrow. It is good to see so many familiar chicken friends on here and the new faces too!

Only one Altsterier? Curious as to where yours came from. I was looking for a different line. I think mine originated from GFF

I'd like to join along in the fun! I bought my first incubator and set 18 eggs. We've only used a broody in the past. We're looking at easter eggers and barnyard mix.

I've actually had fairly good eggs from the east coast before. So I candled with my homemade version of a candler 2 perhaps 3 of the 12 shipped are not looking good. My 12 are in the same shape though. Can't see well enough with my candler but it definitely lets me see duds.

--when I candled last night, many of them have speckled shells (i forget what that's called, no aircell, just bubbles inside), only a couple have air cells that I can see, so hopefully there is something viable in there.

Hope yours do well this time. What breed did you purchase? Mine are LF Dark Cornish.

--How big do LF Dark Cornish get? I hope they all hatch for you! I ordered another batch of blue partridge brahma, and I won seven silkie eggs from a fb raffle by Silkies Anonymous in Tuscon, Arizona, but only two are in the incubator. The rest are under a broody silkie. :) if I get nothing again, I'll be selling my incubator. ;)

Only one Altsterier? Curious as to where yours came from. I was looking for a different line. I think mine originated from GFF
They came from @texassasmas here on BYC. He sent 2 as extras and one was broken. I look forward to having a little crested chick. Did they all originate from GFF?

--How big do LF Dark Cornish get? I hope they all hatch for you! I ordered another batch of blue partridge brahma, and I won seven silkie eggs from a fb raffle by Silkies Anonymous in Tuscon, Arizona, but only two are in the incubator. The rest are under a broody silkie. :) if I get nothing again, I'll be selling my incubator. ;)

Well if the breeder can be trusted these are supposed to be 8# for hens and 10# for rooster. I liked the looks of what they had on eBay and seldom seen the LF ones. Some definitely have growth in them.
Silkies are fun. Although I gave all mine to my neighbor. They were broody machines.

I'm setting way more eggs tomorrow than I had planned: 48 (FINAL NUMBER)

20 crele orps
9 jubilee orps
9 creme legbar
5 langshan
5 cuckoo breda

I had planned setting only crele and jubilee orpingtons tomorrow, but a VERY generous breeder not only dropped the price of the hatching eggs, she gave us all these extras at no charge. It's a real pleasure when you come across such wonderful people in the world.
love.gif
It was a six-hour round trip to pick up the eggs and make it back home, but well worth it.

I only had one egg turner, so I ended up using the money we saved and bought another turner for one of our other incubators. This will be a two-bator EHAL!

BTW, I know I can't include them in the EHAL count, but I probably will be setting silver-laced orpinton eggs within the next week or two.

Cheers!
How nice!

Mine is full.
15 English Orpington
12 a\c - c\l mix
21 silkies
26 buff orp, JJ, and maran mix
141 for
A total of 215 eggs set

I have red laced English Orpington hatching that I bought off eBay. Great seller. Every egg fertile
bow.gif

Set 60 chicken eggs this morning.

Mainly EE x EE, EE x white leghorn, cream legbar, and a few main pen mix.

I know these won't count but set 10 turkey eggs yesterday. My girls started laying just after the deadline to set turkey eggs.

Quail were laying got stressed after tornado flipped their cage about 30 feet. Haven't laid in 2 weeks. So no quail.

Happy hatching to all that set today.
Tornado?
hide.gif

I set 16 eggs last night:

7 Silverudd's Blue from 3 different pens
2 Black Ameraucana
4 from my Chocolate Silverudd's Blue project
3 from my Chocolate Copper project

This is Fireball, one of my Chocolate Copper pullets. Photos don't really capture the glow that copper causes on the chocolate feathers. Her egg is the middle one.
big_smile.png

Beautiful bird and eggs!

Quote: The humidity pump is easy to use, but I wish it was quiet. The noise of it pumping drives my husband crazy!

11:18 Beilefelder hen sitting on 15 in Central Florida
A broody!
clap.gif

Eggs are set!

I see 39 eggs!

Delaware and pita pinta
Pita pinta are sooooo pretty! Are the delaware's from Kim?

Okay. All done setting up. Whew! I have 79. EEs and barnyard mixes.

Beautiful eggs!

Is anyone else using a hen to hatch? Am I supposed to use an incubator? If so, I have a hen that will be very angry! And yes, she bites.
Broody or incubator, doesn't matter.

I'm in. Broody starting eggs today and incubator is full.
yesss.gif
yesss.gif

So, I saw a facebook post today from my first EHAL 5 years ago. I had set 67 eggs in my poor little Hovabator 1602N.
lol.png
I learned a valuable lesson and bought another one last year.
lol.png

Quote: Resorted for you.
smile.png

So, what was the total of eggs set?
We are still collecting numbers.

I am gonnna get shot...

I have set 24 eggs on 3/23 in the morning...

That's the good part.

I set 31 eggs under broodies tonight...

That's still the good part!

Everyone ready???

161 eggs went in the incubator for grand total of 216 total eggs set to qualify for the hatchalong.

Praying for (and truly expecting) quite a few infertile eggs.
ep.gif

They came from @texassasmas here on BYC. He sent 2 as extras and one was broken. I look forward to having a little crested chick. Did they all originate from GFF? 

Thanks
Bummer on the broken one. They hatch really well for me. 10 under broody yesterday and 7 in incubator last week. I've 3 pens of trios now. I know they are not known to be auto sexing but so far mine have been. All chipmunk chicks are hens out of 20 hatched so far. Did not pay attention to the first ones I hatched.

The folks I bought them from said theirs came from an auction that were supposed to be GFF so it's really around the block on that one.

I'm assuming texassasmas sells them?

Back
Top Bottom