The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

I am gonnna get shot...

I have set 24 eggs on 3/23 in the morning...

That's the good part.

I set 31 eggs under broodies tonight...

That's still the good part!

Everyone ready???

161 eggs went in the incubator for grand total of 216 total eggs set to qualify for the hatchalong.

Praying for many (and truly expecting) infertile.

Elmer Fudd said
"Somebody is going to be very very busy come easter time!!"

I havent set all the eggs. Still finishing up a hatch of almost 70, so a small amount of good sense prevailed.

Here is what I did set though-

35 Silverudd's Blue
24 Swedish Flower Hen
7 American Breese
12 Silver Ameraucana
15 Lemon Frisian Gull
2 Golden Cuckoo Marans
1 Alsteirer

Total 96. I may add to this tomorrow. It is good to see so many familiar chicken friends on here and the new faces too!

I'm in. Broody starting eggs today and incubator is full.
yesss.gif
ya.gif

hugs.gif

Just in case it's needed, I set 31 eggs total for the HAL, 1 goose and 30 Call ducks. I posted that a while back but figured I'd post again while everyone is giving their totals :)

Good news is the goose is developing:

And at least some of the Calls:

Now, off to set three more geese and mist and cool the one that's set for the HAL.

:frow

I have three 3 goose eggs set and they are my first go at them. What do you find best for humidity? How often should I mist them? I have the humidity between 45-50 right now. I'm also hand turning them.

I have three 3 goose eggs set and they are my first go at them. What do you find best for humidity? How often should I mist them? I have the humidity between 45-50 right now. I'm also hand turning them.

What breed? Some do better at different humidity levels. For mine I keep to 30%. I start misting and cooling for 5 - 10 minutes a day at day 6 and then at day 14 I start to cool for 15 minutes a day and continue that until 'lockdown' aka internal pip.

Are you weighing? That'll tell you for sure if you need to be adjusting humidity :)

Last edited:

What breed? Some do better at different humidity levels. For mine I keep to 30%. I start misting and cooling for 5 - 10 minutes a day at day 6 and then at day 14 I start to cool for 15 minutes a day and continue that until 'lockdown' aka internal pip.

Are you weighing? That'll tell you for sure if you need to be adjusting humidity :)

Thank you :D

I think they are Toulouse?

I've not weighed them and was just going to go on air cell size for the humidity but they have only been in there for 12 hours so I can weigh them next time I turn.

Thank you :D

I think they are Toulouse?

I've not weighed them and was just going to go on air cell size for the humidity but they have only been in there for 12 hours so I can weigh them next time I turn.

I would definitely weigh them, it's much more precise. It'll be really helpful especially since this is your first time :) You want them to lose 14-17% of their weight by external pip. Try your humidity where it's at now and lower it if you need to. I just did that with mine because it didn't quite lose the 7 grams it should have this week as I accidentally had the humidity in the 40s instead of the 30s.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom