The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

barnie.gif

Just received this via email from our power company ~
They sent a letter weeks ago about this and it had totally slipped my mind until I just read this. I wouldn't have minded so much if the eggs were past day 7 but they are not
rant.gif

The power-outage windows for both days seem short enough that your eggs should be okay. Maybe you could cover your incubators with a blanket to retain heat if you're really concerned.

On a positive note, at least your power company gave you a heads up. I remember years ago when I lived in New Orleans that I was in the middle of a shower and covered in soapy suds (I know - bad visual.) when the city water authority without notice cut off water to the neighborhood to do scheduled plumbing maintenance. I wasn't amused in the least.
roll.png

Got my eggs in at exactly noon yesterday! Set 41 eggs: 6 white Chantecler (darn hens went on strike when they got snowed in with a blizzard, perfect timing), 8 Easter Egger, and the rest are from my crazy mixed flock of barred rocks, Turkens, and second generation mixed girls with a Rhode Island Red cock. Makes for a pretty incubator.

You just say that you would like to participate and tell them how many eggs you set
But I don't think the update has happened today yet because my name is still not there but it will probably happen soon

SADLY I was NOT able to get any eggs set.
Incubator was cleaned, eggs were ready but I WAS ILL in bed all day.
Hopefully I can join a different hatch-a-long later.

Can you get a UPS - uninterruptable power supply? If you can get one with a big enough battery, it should run your incubators during the power outage. They are handy to have around, just in case, anyway.

I'm afraid not in time for the morning :/

I unintentionally ran the cooler cycle on mine from day one on my test eggs. All 24 went into lock down 19 hatched. 4 a day early 4 a day late.
Hopefully they will have it back up and running after the 2 hour time table. When power goes out could you wrap the incubator with towels for insulation?

Yes I'm all set with towels and some wheat bags that will be warm. I'm hoping they get done quickly and that it won't be the full 2 hours :fl
That's very interesting on the day early and the day late ones even with cool down running my from day one.

The power-outage windows for both days seem short enough that your eggs should be okay. Maybe you could cover your incubators with a blanket to retain heat if you're really concerned.

On a positive note, at least your power company gave you a heads up. I remember years ago when I lived in New Orleans that I was in the middle of a shower and covered in soapy suds (I know - bad visual.) when the city water authority without notice cut off water to the neighborhood to do scheduled plumbing maintenance. I wasn't amused in the least. :rolleyes:  

Yes they gave notice which makes a change. Last time they did repairs near our house it wasn't meant to go off but they bust something whilst doing the repair so it went off anyway :rolleyes:
I'm not surprised you were not amused with the water going off!

SADLY I was NOT able to get any eggs set. 
Incubator was cleaned, eggs were ready but I WAS ILL in bed all day. 
Hopefully I can join a different hatch-a-long later. 

Sorry to hear you were ill :hugs

You can still set today if you are feeling better and they will still count for the hatch a long.

Back
Top Bottom