The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

You can find out if your area has blackhead thru your local extension office.

I keep turkeys and chickens in the same pen and brooder when they are babies.

To my knowledge my turkey haven't given my chickens any thing.

But I think I lost some turkeys because of chickens. Mainly cocci.
I too keep my turkeys and chickens together but I'm able to free range my birds so they only are enclosed during the night

well someone brought me 12 mallard duck eggs today they said the mom and dad later then at their little pond by the pool and never came back to them. So they have them to me to hatch. Any info on hatching them I'm new to ducks chickens are my expertise

You can buy wild mallards from hatcheries, or flying mallards, all mallards look the same....
You didn't mention it, but if they're wild mallards, they're illegal for you to have (see section 2 here). Unless you know a wildlife rehabber you can hand them off to once they're hatched it's better if you don't hatch them, as sad as that sounds. You don't want to get into legal trouble.

If that's not the case, then you pretty much want to incubate them like chickens. They just take a week longer to hatch.

Not wild duck related but found it kinda odd,
Couple parks near me, state campgrounds actually, want you to report any wild goose nests you see. I asked about it cause I fish around the area, they said they do not remove the eggs cause the geese will just lay more, they coat them with vegetable oil and it kills the eggs and the geese are none the wiser.... and are less likely to lay more.
If they wanted to cut down on the population why don't they just open the season longer or up the daily and seasonal take? IDK, DEC knows best I guess...Lol.

CONGRATULATIONS! THE CHICKS ARE POPPING OUT LIKE POPCORN AROUND HERE! GLAD TO SEE THERE ARE A LOT OF PIPS .. AND FOR THOSE THAT HAVEN'T STARTED YET..HAVE FUN LOOKING AT BABY PHOTOS! I AM!!!!
tumblr_mmyagdubmU1rwxe2oo1_500.gif

Been a couple hrs, no progression, just the hole, I see it moving in there, should I crack it? Really want to crack it open....

Just kidding, (step away from the bator!)

Ohh boy, can't wait to tell the kids in the morning when they get up, they will be so excited, not me, no big deal....
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Total new count is 72. Still lots of peeping and pips. I have for, isbar (SP), CL/AC, meo, and a various of other mixed chicks that are turning out pretty. I have 1 with chimpmunk stripes that came from the CL/AC.

Mixed morning, 2 healthy chicks out and loud! One dead chick, hatched during night but dead with intestines hanging out of naval??? And another piped at wrong end.?????

Back
Top Bottom