The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

I don't weigh them either. You can candle them and compare to a post with pictures showing how big the air cell should be for that age and if air cell is small, increase humidity....or if its too large decrease humidity. I only remember that because its opposites....too big, less water....too small, more water. But I don't really have time to do that either with all the eggs but I could probably find the post if needed. Think it is under hatching 101?

Usually I candle once at 5+ days and again around 12+ days....that's usually only because I'm *trying* to make more space in my incubators for eggs that need to be set. I've got a nice rotation going once a week. And yet its still fun to sit at the hatcher with a flashlight every so often peeking at their progress.....my kids especially love to do this although my 6 yr old said today that wasn't fun anymore to watch the "white" eggs hatch....but its still fun to watch the blue eggs progress. LOL

How cute! Still figuring out how this forum works. Have yet to figure out how some of you quote more then one person in your replies.

Sincerely,
Your Fellow Homesteader,
Glaseria
1f495.png
1f43e.png

1f54a.png

Quote: Glaseria,
To quote more than one person, use the Multi box at the bottom right side of a post, by the Quote and Reply boxes. You click on the Multi box at each post you would like to quote. When you have finished reading and are ready to reply to all the posts you clicked-on, just click on the Reply box. All the "Multis" will show up in the reply box.
I use a desktop, so if you are on a mobile device, the answer may be a bit different. If that is the case, hopefully, someone else will have to help you out.

We're doing duck and quail. Would it be simular to chicken? Weight loss? Also if you can't mist then how do you add water to your incubator? A water dropper?

Sincerely,

Your Fellow Homesteader,

Glaseria

1f495.png
1f43e.png

1f54a.png

I'm sure someone will come along and answer this more thoroughly or refer you to another forum post. If you are ever in doubt I adore searching this forum for articles, posts, and pictures. ;)

I'm pretty certain duck eggs need regularly misting but I'd have to search that here. I tried duck eggs twice from local person but I have a strong suspicion they were infertile. I only hatch chicken eggs and rarely need to add water here in southern AL but I also have a separate hatcher/brooder I keep a small bowl of water in for new chicks so humidity I barely need to adjust. For my incubators I have like a squirt bottle, or a "larger water dropper" that I add water through a small hole. Only open to candle, add or remove eggs.  What type of duck and quail eggs?

And on a different note. I'm excited to set some chicken eggs as well for this hatch a long! And I've got one chick about to hatch as I type. Its a cream legbar, can't wait. Newness of the breed hasn't wore off yet, haha.  But I've hatched a couple of their eggs already including some auto sexing olive egger pullets!

Not much advice I can offer since I don't add water at all until day 18 since the RH is so high in my house. I've drowned a few hatches adding a tiny bit of water before day 18. :(

I want Legbars so bad! I'm hoping to get some eggs in my mystery box of eggs I ordered for the hatch.

I don't weigh them either. You can candle them and compare to a post with pictures showing how big the air cell should be for that age and if air cell is small, increase humidity....or if its too large decrease humidity. I only remember that because its opposites....too big, less water....too small, more water. But I don't really have time to do that either with all the eggs but I could probably find the post if needed. Think it is under hatching 101?

Usually I candle once at 5+ days and again around 12+ days....that's usually only because I'm *trying* to make more space in my incubators for eggs that need to be set. I've got a nice rotation going once a week. And yet its still fun to sit at the hatcher with a flashlight every so often peeking at their progress.....my kids especially love to do this although my 6 yr old said today that wasn't fun anymore to watch the "white" eggs hatch....but its still fun to watch the blue eggs progress. LOL

How cute! Still figuring out how this forum works. Have yet to figure out how some of you quote more then one person in your replies.

Sincerely,

Your Fellow Homesteader,

Glaseria

1f495.png
1f43e.png

1f54a.png

Glaseria,
To quote more than one person, use the Multi box at the bottom right side of a post, by the Quote and Reply boxes. You click on the Multi box at each post you would like to quote.  When you have finished reading and are ready to reply to all the posts you clicked-on, just click on the Reply box.  All the "Multis" will show up in the reply box.
I use a desktop, so if you are on a mobile device, the answer may be a bit different. If that is the case, hopefully, someone else will have to help you out.

Quotation marks inside a bubble in the bottom right corner of each reply on mobile. You click it on each comment you want to quote.

Not much advice I can offer since I don't add water at all until day 18 since the RH is so high in my house. I've drowned a few hatches adding a tiny bit of water before day 18. :(

I want Legbars so bad! I'm hoping to get some eggs in my mystery box of eggs I ordered for the hatch.

I want them too! There is a hatchery that sells them for $30.00 per chick, but that is just too expensive for me.

frow.gif
@Razadia We, too, are having some unusually mild weather for February. I'm hoping my hens don't go broody before the third week of March!

You just missed an auction from CJ on the 24hr auction thread. The winning bid I believe was $30 for 18 hatching eggs.

Gaaaaaaaah! Don't tell me this! :barnie I'm afraid I'm going to have to wait till next year for Cream Legbar. :hit Next year I'll get Cream Legbar and Ayam Cemani, this year I'm getting Black Copper Marans and Blue Ameraucanas.

I want them too! There is a hatchery that sells them for $30.00 per chick, but that is just too expensive for me.

Same here. I've seen them locally much cheaper than that, but I was in the process selling nearly all my birds. Still ended up keeping 5. :D

:frow   @Razadia
  We, too, are having some unusually mild weather for February.  I'm hoping my hens don't go broody before the third week of March! 

I wish my hens would go broody. In the 6 years I've had dual purpose breeds I've only ever had one hatchery quality hen go bloody and I sold my lovely buckeye hen that hatched for me last year. I've apparently made a lot of bad choices with them lately. :lau

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom