The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Yesterday, on day 19, day 2 of lockdown, I noticed that my thermometer (used previously for my fish tank) may have been wrong, and reading an incorrect low temperature, when in fact that incubator may have been 104 degrees and I didn't realize it. I had a 2nd digital thermometer, but I was reading my regular thermometer instead....

I'm hoping this hasn't ruined my hatch...but I guess all I can do is wait and find out.

Does anybody know if 104 degrees will kill eggs?
Yup. Ruined my first hatch by running 104 by accident.

Not tellin'.

I'm sorry it's not going well. I have no experience hatching ducks, so I can't help.

And what a cutie pie!

Sometimes when a bunch hatch at once, your humidity spikes too high. I use that opportunity to quickly grab chicks. If there are pips or chicks zipping, I do not open it.

Getting a picture of your birds in mid flap of their wings.

This is a very good point. I had 3 hatched out in my little Brinsea and I was waiting for the last one to dry to pull them out. Then I noticed I had a pip in another egg so I decided to leave them in, but I glanced at the humidity and it was creeping over 80%, so I pulled out the two that were dry and the humidity dropped down to around 70%. Plus, I know everyone says it's fine, but the 3 chicks were climbing all over the pipping egg and at one point the pip was pushed up against the glass. It made me nervous so I was happy to free up some space in there by removing the two active chicks.

Quote:
I just looked at mine and I can't tell which direction it is blowing. The air feels like it's coming out of the clear plastic holes around the edge, so I'm thinking the fan is blowing up and it circulates around? I don't feel air blowing directly on my hand when put below the fan. It feels like it's coming from everywhere.

I have 2 so far. The picture of the pip has disappeared. After the first baby hatched he was moving eggs around and that one disappeared. The air cell is on the other side of the egg. Sadly I think we lost that one. I am still hoping for some more but I have a feeling that I will only get 2. They were shipped eggs. That's ok because I already have 2 more dozen purchased from someone closer so I can pick them up myself. :) but I can stop anytime! No really I can.

Last edited:
Here's my little early bird. It's in with the lone serama survivor from a hatch that ended 2 days ago (had 3 hatch, but a storm moved in and my heat lamp wasn't warm enough. Lost 2. The rest were lost due to my hatcher's heat element going out. It wouldn't raise above 95 degrees). My two bantam chicks are now in the laundry room keeping warm.

Back
Top Bottom