The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

How rude. :hit

Are OEGBs good at going broody? I know Jace is, but are all OEGBs? How many full sized eggs can she brood? I'm thinking about getting a good broody breed, because my Orpington, Sussexs, and Rocks aint cutting it.

How rude. :hit

Are OEGBs good at going broody? I know Jace is, but are all OEGBs? How many full sized eggs can she brood? I'm thinking about getting a good broody breed, because my Orpington, Sussexs, and Rocks aint cutting it.

Can't say about all, but my three were in and out of the broody breaker all summer. Jace can cover about 8-12 bantam eggs, probably 4 max for LF.

I have one LF egg under her and 4 banty and it looks like she's sitting on a bowling ball.

Finally got on here and read all the pages!
Congrats on all the chicks, ducklings, goslings, poults, keets, and whatever else!
Congrats to the contest winners!
Thank you to all those who helped make this hatchalong a success!

I don't have a final count on the 44 I set but I do have pictures of the first two chicks hatched on Friday morning...

Can't say about all, but my three were in and out of the broody breaker all summer. Jace can cover about 8-12 bantam eggs, probably 4 max for LF.

I have one LF egg under her and 4 banty and it looks like she's sitting on a bowling ball.

Hmmmm, looks like I need to cross OEGBs off my list....I'm thinking Cochins will be my best bet.

I made my initial picks out of the 108 I hatched. So far I haven't lost any. I moved the remaining to be sold outside to the grow out pen. They have not room out there and it's heated when they need it.

I was gonna count tiny Miss Dora, my six year old flea market leghorn, and Henny Boo Boo, my five year old BO, but even they still give me a couple of eggs a month. I'm even trying to hatch a few of their eggs. The older roosters know to leave them alone, they are grumpy and want nothing to do with those boys. Young roosters, though. They don't ask. They stake out the door of the coop and ambush all the ladies as they're trying to go to bed. The two older Roos try to keep the peace, but they can't guard all the girls at once and then Oh the indignation!

Hova 1588 with the IncuTurn, 15 like this so pretty random places I'd say but I really didn't keep up on where they where, and they got moved around a lot when the bunch hatched.
Majority hatched last yr, don't remember exactly but it was around 30 out of 36, didn't eggtopsy last yr just tossed.
Going to check out your links, thanks.

That IncuTurn caused me nothing but problems when I used it. My eggs were in all directions! And even out of the little slots, that was early on last hatch. They would bounce off of each other. I hated that thing. I finally bought a better egg turner at the local TSC that works much better.

Done and done. (Finally count 88 live chicks ) , Broody quit her nest and chicks, 1 dead 3 in with the rest. 14 set there . All cold eggs had chicks in them.. Don't know why she quot on the last day....I didn't count the dead one.
So 85 incubated chicks, 3 broody chicks cant remember if I added the broody to the count.

Clean up detail

I ll for another picture tommorow

Back
Top Bottom