The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

I agree with both of these. While I can get nearly 100% hatches with intervention, I would prefer to have a smaller number of 100% heaalthy and robust chicks. I will make exceptions for extremely rare breeds or if I compromised the hatch.

I despise culling but would rather do that than hear a chick crying in distress.
I have a father, or a very nice friend that will cull them for me, I"m totally unable. But last night I somehow I came across a rat that wasn't moving very fast and there was a stick and I beat it to death. How can I kill a rat, but not a distressed chick? I don't know.....

I have a father, or a very nice friend that will cull them for me, I"m totally unable. But last night I somehow I came across a rat that wasn't moving very fast and there was a stick and I beat it to death. How can I kill a rat, but not a distressed chick? I don't know.....
Because rats have bad PR.

I have culled my fair share of chicks, and I cry every time. It's painless for them, but not for me. If I have to put an adult down, my husband or step dad do it for me. I'm too afraid of not getting an instant kill.

My wife and I had a discussion yesterday, and we've decided that we're pretty much done with hatchling rescues. During hatched we're pretty much going to do our best to maintain proper incubation temperatures and humidity, but during the hatching process, we're going to let nature take it's course. For example, if a chick can only pip and not zip, we're not going to assist.

From our experience, most of the hatchlings that need assistance have some kind of issue and need post-hatch treatment and/or therapy. Quite often they die anyway or have to get a long in life with a serious challenge. For example, we had three pre-hatch rescues for this last hatch. Two of the chicks have since died, and the remaining one has seriously curled feet and a distended navel.

We have some rescues in the past that have made it and are perfectly healthy, but they tend to be the exceptions. Anyway, it wasn't an easy decision, but after going through this ritual so many times, it seemed the best decision for us.
I totally agree. I helped 1 chick out this time It tried to live but died. I see this way to often they die. I like hatch 1 day before or after due date. I just get red of the rest od the eggs. I was going to get rid of the last of the eggs (headed toward the trash can)when this last egg peeped at me. Soft heart I have I helped it out of shell. It didn't make it... It was weak .... Shame on me I just belonged the chicks death.... I alwaays say I won't do that again BUT I probably will.

My wife and I had a discussion yesterday, and we've decided that we're pretty much done with hatchling rescues. During hatched we're pretty much going to do our best to maintain proper incubation temperatures and humidity, but during the hatching process, we're going to let nature take it's course. For example, if a chick can only pip and not zip, we're not going to assist.

From our experience, most of the hatchlings that need assistance have some kind of issue and need post-hatch treatment and/or therapy. Quite often they die anyway or have to get a long in life with a serious challenge. For example, we had three pre-hatch rescues for this last hatch. Two of the chicks have since died, and the remaining one has seriously curled feet and a distended navel.

We have some rescues in the past that have made it and are perfectly healthy, but they tend to be the exceptions. Anyway, it wasn't an easy decision, but after going through this ritual so many times, it seemed the best decision for us.

I totally agree.  I helped 1 chick out this time   It tried to live but died.   I see this way to often they die.   I like hatch 1 day before or after due date.    I just get red of the rest od the eggs.   I was going to get rid of the last of the eggs (headed toward the trash can)when this last egg peeped at me.   Soft heart I have I helped it out of shell.   It didn't make it... It was weak ....   Shame on me I just belonged the chicks death....   I alwaays say I won't do that again   BUT I probably will.

Have to agree. If the temps and humidity were good during incubation then the ones struggling to hatch are the weaker and abnormal ones.

Quote: Have to agree. If the temps and humidity were good during incubation then the ones struggling to hatch are the weaker and abnormal ones.

Phage I notice your peacock . A female move into my yard. She is so friendly she even tried to follow me in to the house. 3 foot into the house Is this normal? My son in law which is a animal rehabiter said it was very unusual. She was afraid of him either.
I am baby sitting a newly split Bee hive. So they will stay in the new hive. Miss Peahen followed us a watch what we were doing.
I am empressed with these Bees they are quiet interesting to watch. Busy cleaning the dead bees out of the newly split hive and by noon hey were flying out to the fields.
I was afraid my chickens would eat them but they left them a lone.

Phage  I notice your peacock .  A female move into my yard.   She is so friendly she even tried to follow me in to the house. 3 foot into the house   Is this normal?  My son in law which is a animal rehabiter said it was very unusual.  She was afraid of him either.
I am baby sitting a newly split Bee hive. So they will stay in the new hive.  Miss Peahen followed us a watch what we were doing.
I am empressed with these Bees they are quiet interesting to watch.  Busy cleaning the dead bees out of the newly split hive and by noon hey were flying out to the fields.

Bees are very hygienic and most animals are very smart! I am looking forward to when we have bees!
2764.png
1f41d.png

Busy cleaning the dead bees out of the newly split hive and by noon hey were flying out to the fields.
My chickens have never seemed interested in my honey bees, but I've been told that guineas like to eat bees. I don't have guineas so I don't know if that's true.

I totally agree.  I helped 1 chick out this time   It tried to live but died.   I see this way to often they die.   I like hatch 1 day before or after due date.    I just get red of the rest od the eggs.   I was going to get rid of the last of the eggs (headed toward the trash can)when this last egg peeped at me.   Soft heart I have I helped it out of shell.   It didn't make it... It was weak ....   Shame on me I just belonged the chicks death....   I alwaays say I won't do that again   BUT I probably will.

Have to agree. If the temps and humidity were good during incubation then the ones struggling to hatch are the weaker and abnormal ones.

Phage  I notice your peacock .  A female move into my yard.   She is so friendly she even tried to follow me in to the house. 3 foot into the house   Is this normal?  My son in law which is a animal rehabiter said it was very unusual.  She was afraid of him either.
I am baby sitting a newly split Bee hive. So they will stay in the new hive.  Miss Peahen followed us a watch what we were doing.
I am empressed with these Bees they are quiet interesting to watch.  Busy cleaning the dead bees out of the newly split hive and by noon hey were flying out to the fields.

Sounds like your peahen is a hand raised pet. These are wild animals unless imprinted at hatch. Enjoy having her around! Hopefully she will go home as whoever raised her is likley pining her loss.

Quote: My chickens don't bother my bees, and the bees drink out of the chicken waterers. I give them their own waterer, and they still drink out of the chicken waterers.

I love sitting by my hives and watching the bees come and go. When the yellow jackets come out, they will steal your bees.

This was my swarm last summer. It was fascinating to watch. This was a small handful of them.

And them going into the bait hive.

Back
Top Bottom