The African and Chinese goose thread!!

8 goose eggs last 2 days
celebrate.gif
set 2 yesterday with the weekly group. Cant wait to hear the lil weeweee's sounds coming from the brooder boxes
love.gif

Congrats!! have you seen this? https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/959954/can-anyone-help-find-a-home-for-our-3-african-geese

Quote:
Thats so sad, if they are anywhere close to Indiana I would sure give them a home. i'll post to find out where they are. I am VERY selective as to whom takes my goslings. Most go to live with a veterinarian north of me that has a small poultry farm. He raises meat birds, but the geese help him ward off birds of prey. He hasn't had good luck hatching himself, really doesn't have the time for it. I start the goslings for him. They are taken excellent care of and have a large barn for the winter months.

As of yesterday, this shared nest had 11 eggs, and one other nest had one egg. In addition 2 of our 3 pekin ducks have started to lay, and we have chicken eggs in the incubator.

A few of our ladies have started to lay. And these two seem to be sharing a nest.
Lovely ladies they are! I love spring and all the new life it brings
love.gif

As of yesterday, this shared nest had 11 eggs, and one other nest had one egg. In addition 2 of our 3 pekin ducks have started to lay, and we have chicken eggs in the incubator.
I went from 1 tray a week in my sportsman cabinet to 3 trays this week
celebrate.gif
I am so excited to have babies again, been a long winter. Only birds not laying yet are my guinea. Expect eggs very soon
fl.gif

My gander is still not being cooperative. Now he hisses at me and still bites and flogs me. I can not be alone with him. Somebody has to control him with me. I sat on him once to control him, and that works a little. I do not know what to do.

My gander is still not being cooperative. Now he hisses at me and still bites and flogs me. I can not be alone with him. Somebody has to control him with me. I sat on him once to control him, and that works a little. I do not know what to do.
It's an everyday thing here. My gander comes at me with wings open ready to flog but I grab him quick and pen him to the ground with my knees on either side of him once I let him up I chase him up the bank with my arms open and tell him in a loud voice get moving or actually growl at him. You just have to keep at it. This will pass once breeding season is over and he won't Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. unless they hatch goslings. Sam has bitten me 2X so far and both my fault when I let my guard down. We just have to keep in perspective this is natural gander behavior. Just wish they'd realize we're not the enemy.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Totally agree, my big Embden fella is a tyrant right now. I went to collect eggs, and he charged a good 30 feet storming towards me. I will let them brood this year but not til late in the laying season. I have pinned him twice this weekend, he would not back down. No way will I part with him! He is a good protector for his hens, and will be a good father too.

That's the best you can do, but you will have to repeat it, just as Miss Lydia explained. My oldest fella is 3, and we spent his first adult season getting to learn the rules, don't attack Mom! Gee still does the circling around me, but thats more of being his flirty self
lau.gif

You have to ask yourself the question, do I want to keep him? If you do, it will take a little work teaching him manners. My brown chinese gander, Jerk is still antisocial, but will not attack me anymore either. We only had one disagreement and he hasn't tried since. My Embden are a different personality altogether, and to me they are more skiddish than my chinese.

I am mothergoose08 's sister. I was watching our goose and gander today and I noticed that when the gander would walk past the goose sometimes,she'd bite his tail feathers. She's a very sweet and quiet bird(he's the opposite). She is laying,but not fertile eggs as their pool isn't very deep and she forces him off her when he tries. Sometimes he'll bite her neck,wings,tail,if he can catch her. I don't know what to do. Their backs are slightly torn up from that. I just don't want them hurt.

I am mothergoose08 's sister. I was watching our goose and gander today and I noticed that when the gander would walk past the goose sometimes,she'd bite his tail feathers. She's a very sweet and quiet bird(he's the opposite). She is laying,but not fertile eggs as their pool isn't very deep and she forces him off her when he tries. Sometimes he'll bite her neck,wings,tail,if he can catch her. I don't know what to do. Their backs are slightly torn up from that. I just don't want them hurt.
My geese mate on dry ground too and they have fertile eggs. Have you cracked any open to check? it's easier for them to mate in deeper water and to be more successful though .

The behavior your talking about sounds pretty typical for breeding season the females can be pretty bold with the ganders. and missing feathers is normal. They will molt early summer and look good as new again.
Maybe you can deepen the water in their pool for them.

Back
Top Bottom